• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

corroded transom well drain tube issues - HELP!

Gadgetman

Question

I have a 19'Lund Pro V that had the transom replaced a couple of years ago due to the wood rotting. When it was redone the 4 transom drains were replaced with brass tubes that worked ok for a year. Since then they have all corroded off and I have replaced them ALL twice. It isnt working and I need to find a solution. I called Lund and they sent me the factory drain tubes in aluminum, but they were about 1/4" too short, apparantly my new transom is a bit thicker than the factory made one. they told me that they didnt have any longer ones. I need to find a source for aluminum tubes to replace the bad ones I have. Anyone familiar with flanging? Can I just get some aluminum tube and put a flanger on it and smash both ends down or isnt it that easy? I am really at the end of my rope and cant seem to find any local help on this. Advise anyone?

7 answers to this question

Do a search for "aluminum transom drain tube" and you should get a few results. I know Moeller makes them, but don't know if they have the correct length for you though.

Somethings wrong, cause unless they redid everything on the back of that boat when they replaced the wood, 1/4" thicker-everything wouldn't have fit back together. I replced the wood in my crestliner and the topcap would have never fit back on if I would have gone with thicker wood, plus all of the support brackets wouldn't have lined up. But anyway I found mine at the marine dealer in Raymond, Mn. They actually had to cut mine down to flang them. I,ve seen them in quite a few differant dealers and more then long enough to go thru any transom I've ever seen on a boat that size. Tensen Sales is the name of the place.

Are your batteries leaking, or did one tip over or leak?

To me it is very odd a brass drain bung would go that fast. As they are made for years of Salt Water use in a far more corrosive environment.

If battery acid did contaminate the transom, you need to neutralize it quickly or it will do even greater damage.

Ed, it comes from the electrolosis between brass and aluminum. I've seen it in other boats that have had the drains replaced with brass also. Some boats it happens really fast others it will never happen.

I do agree with walleyemaniac that the transom thickness shouldn't have moved that much. GM, have you tried to use a C-clamp to squeeze everything together? Is there any gap between the aluminum and wood?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

"electrolosis between brass and aluminum" is what I was thinking.

It is possible that the wood used to replace the transom had a thicker dia but if the drain tubes are corroding out they will be letting water in. That would be swelling the wood.

It was definitly electrolisis - the drains that Lund sent me were maybe 1/8 of an inch too short and I am sure that it was because the guy who redid my transom wrapped the wood in fiber glass so it would be water tight and that extra thickness was just enough so that the factory part wouldnt fit. I have since found 3" long aluminium drains by Moeller Marine. Oddly enough,here in the land of aluminum boats none of the local parts houses stock the aluminium drains,they all have the brass ones....I have some thoughts on that but wont vent them here!