• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tell us how your bear season went

lakeshoremunster

Bear hunters let us know how your season went, I know the season is not yet over yet but it has been pretty quite in here, just wondering how everyone did this year.

Been hunting the last five days. Passed on two and waited for Mr. big. Mr. Big made an appearance on opening night (5 pm) at a stand a guy was supposed to be but had something come up. The night I switched to hunt this stand a very nice one came in to the pit I was sitting.

I didn't get one (passed on two 90 +/-) but the two other guys in my party shot one. One was 120 pounds and another 200 pounds. Awesome hunt.

Had two in at the same time when I got mine. When they kinda start going at it, it gets very exciting. The vocals and the displays they'll put on to intimidate each other is awesome. Sends shivers up my spine just thinking about it. By far better than deer hunting. Can't wait til next year.

I had a great first season! Had 9 different bears come in tho the baits over the past two weeks. Two that were very big, a couple of cubs and sows, and some smaller bears. Shot my first one Saturday night at 5:30. 3 bears came in, I ended up with a 250 pound boar. Very happy and exciting. Thanks for all the advice that I got here from all you bear hunting veterans.

065.jpg

I don't get out much until October. My son took a shot yesterday but he was a little too excited, his first time out there alone. My wife has been out once but did not see anything. Good luck to all, the season has just begun.

bogwalker<are up busy until then or are you just waiting for the other hunters to stop so everything is nice and quite for your

Walleye<Thats a dandy looking bear

Wish I was like you guys and had multi bears coming in to my site, I only got lucky with my two bears because the second one seemed like it was spoked into my site so I got lucky with my bears.

My brother messed up his shot when a big boar came in right under his stand, guess the wind scared both of them that day.

Brother in law shot a nice 170 ish pound boar on sat night, and that concludes our hunting season.

Until next year.

Baits were going good until about a week ago. Hunted a couple times with nothing to show. We still have a long time yet before I start to worry.

Bigger bears are not moving too much during daylight hours yet. Shorter days along with cooler daytime temps will get them out moving when I can see them. Another reason is that sows and young bears will be in their dens in a few weeks leaving the big boars to feed on my baits.

thats a good plan bog, wish i had time to hunt later in the season but I just dont have the time to do so, thats why I am glad i tagged out on the first day

Went out on a spur of the moment to video a friend on friday night so I picked up my no quota tag and headed out to film him. The plan was he was going to shoot the first one and then we would switch. When we got in the stands he drew his bow and bumped a limb the arrow fell of the rest and the broadhead took half his skin off his left index finger down to the bone. He refuse to let me take him in because he has lots of bears coming into that bait he just waited at the house for me. At 7:15 I look over and thier is a huge bear circling the bait just checking the wind and looking around it leaves and I hear something behind me so I turn around and face that direction. About 10 minutes later I look over at the bait and the huge one is standing in it just as I start to pull my head net back it looks up at me and starts to walk away I draw my bow and it turns broadside at what I guess is 30 yards and I touch off the realese and watch the luminock fly and it flys low grazing it's leg. Then at 8:00 my buddy starts the wheeler at the house to come get me and I look over behind the bait and thier is about a 150 lb bear coming into the bait I draw but the sound of the wheeler spooks it off before I could get a shot. We do have a cam over this bait so when we pull the card I'll submit a pic of it this bear looked like a vw bug walking to the bait and his head looked bigger than a garbage can.

Well after 5 straight days of hunting, my season ended. It was a much shorter season than normal since I didn't have a tag for my usual hunting spot and I was way up north. However in 5 days me and my group saw 8 bears. This is the most bears I have seen in that short of time, but none were harvested. I guess it will be another dry year for me. Sure was fun though. Hopefully there will be a tag next year and my season will be much longer. Good luck to everyone that are still chasing bears.

Another added bonus to waiting till a little later in the season is that the big boars' hair thickens up for winter, making much nicer rugs or trophy's.

Lots of bears on the cameras up until this weekend when we were in the woods, Not sure if we were stinkin up the woods with our smell or what. But we didn't even get a picture of one in 3 days even at night. Lots of state land by our land so someone might have started up some new baits during the week and lured them away from us for the time being. We replenished the baits on Monday so Hopefully they come back to us.

got my first bear friday night about 10 to 8, about 150 pounder not the biggest but it was fun and getting him with a bow was sweet.

went up tuesday morning and rebaited as the bears were tearing up the bait, then it took till thursday night at 9:12 for the first hit which was a sow with 3 cubs which stayed at the site for 7 hours and that was it for the week for hits. seems like they shut off for the first couple weeks of september with all the acorns and hazelnuts around, on sunday night i finally had one coming in right about dark but was still working into the bait and had no shot before i had to leave, but not much else you can do when hunting with the bow. i will be up hunting the next two weekends though so hopefully i get lucky.

I tell ya after sitting home for a few days now. Being 365 miles away and close to 365days away, I sure missed the times around the campfires with all that stinkin rain.

That's what we all said. It looks like a tank. I'm going to try for him again. The bottom of the belly is still below the logs.

geeze that thing is huge, hope you can get a wheeler in there to get him out or your going to have a fun time dragging him out, at least your area looks much better than the area I hunted in, it was no fun trying to drag the bears out of it, and doing it in the dark was not easy either because I chose not to flag my trail going into the woods this year and just relied on the gps.

There are too many nosie hunters where I hunt and I didnt want them to spoke the bears off.

That's what we all said. It looks like a tank. I'm going to try for him again. The bottom of the belly is still below the logs.

What caliber rifle are you planning to use on this bear?

Yes I was in stand when it was windy and also had a thunderstorm blow through so fast. I saw a flash and thought it was a camera but the loud clap of thunder answered that. I had two come in right at dark. It was also raining.

was out last friday in the wind, it rained a small bit. My brother got scared when the high wind rocked his tree right when the bear was under him and he grabed the tree stand and the bear took off like a bolt of lightning