• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Auto GPS

Wish-I-Were-Fishn

Question

5 answers to this question

i think it's mostly a chevy vs ford argument on garmin or tomtom. I will say that tom toms seem to be a little bit less expensive.

i have a tom tom and my only complaints are directly related to it being a lower level model. I have a few suggestions on features I wish I would have spent just a tad more money on.

bigger screen - self explanatory

spoken street names - it's nice to not have to take your eyes off the road and look at the thing to double check.

some kind of auto zoom in function that tells you what lane to be in. this is nice at complicated interchanges.

and then some things I'm glad i didn't spend the money on.

traffic thing - I already know 494 from 35w to 169 is gonna be clogged up at 5pm wink I'll live with the more freak occurrence traffic jams just like i have always done. It could be really helpful if you drive around a lot though...

I have a Magellan and have been very happy with it. Was a $250 unit, and I got it for $69 on clearance at Radio Shack

BTW- I forgot to add, if you can hold out a couple months, the past two years there have been very very good deals on GPS's the day after Thanksgiving.

A Garmin Nuvi 500 is a high functioning unit, easy to use, and it is 100% waterproof. You can pick one up for around $300.

If your also a sportsman, you will like this unit as it also has a "Boating Mode". It can run the Garmin mapping, LakeMaster, NDTRAX, and MNTRAX.

36173.jpg

Once you buy one be sure to register it at Garmin on-line, you get a free upgrade to the New 2011 streets USA. Do this within 30 days of registering it, as the offer expires. You will also be eligible from Garmin for other free updates and utility downloads after registration.

I have one, like it a lot, and will also be using it on the ice too this winter.

I have the NUVI 500 also. I like it because you use it in your truck and when you go out ice fishing you can get a cradle for it to mount to your 4 wheeler or snowmobile. Last year was my first year with it and now I got to show everyone the spots to go. we pick a spot on the GPS and we go right there. No more drilling a bunch of holes to find the spot.