• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bear question?

YellowOtter1

I've had bear feeding well until 2 days ago. Started noticing timber wolf tracks on my 4 wheeler trail in. They aren't going to the bait site so says my trail cam. But the last two nights while sitting in my ground blind a whole pack starts howling very close, like 100 to 200 yds close! They haven't winded me, wrong wind. Has to be at least ten wolves when the get going. Kinda uncomfortable when your bow hunting a ground blind. Bear were hitting good in daylight before this. Do wolves make bear leave an area from anyones experience? Seems feasible to me as I am uncomfotable with a pack running around so close! And they are not coyotes for those who say they might be. Will bear vacate an area if an active wolf pack is there?

It is my feeling that bear are pretty uncomfortable when Timber wolves are in the area. Some of the Oldtimers said that bear will not hang out in the same area as wolves. I don't think that any bear under 300 pounds would have much of a chance if wolves catch it on the ground. Maybe "bogwalker" has some info on that and will chime in.

When I was growing up, (maybe I've become an "oldtimer"? blush ) wolves would shy away from human scent. The past few years they have been doing some pretty spooky things around here as they lose their fear of humans. Killing pets on peoples porches???? Killing calves inside a barn?????? We almost lost our dog to wolves this past spring when the wolves came right into the farm equipment while I was working there with the dog sleeping alongside of me and went after the dog.

People can quote all the studies and history they want but we are in uncharted teritory as far as wolf/human interaction as never before in mankinds history have wolves gone 4+ generations with nothing to fear from humans.

I once saw 200# bear treed by by a miniature shcnauzer. Bear really do not like canines.

The wolves in my area have become accustomed to bait sites in the woods and every year their presence seems to ruin at least one site. They are not just eating meat either. We are also seeing wolves, usually loners, actually come in and hit the bait with a hunter on the stand. Never saw this happen in the 80's or 90's.

2 yrs ago, while sitting on a chair 15-20 yds from my bait, I had a big wolf come in and just gobble fried donuts 'til I thought his belly was gonna burst. He'd just take a mouthful of donuts, point his nose straight up in the air and more or less just swallow whole one glob after another. Quite a sight to see.

Quote:
wolves would shy away from human scent, spooky things around here as they lose their fear of humans, never before in mankinds history have wolves gone 4+ generations with nothing to fear from humans

I agree wholeheartedly Kelly. I have seen a complete 180 degree turnaround in my thirty five years of working in the woods. Funny though, all the "experts" that you have a conversation with on this subject will vehemently deny it.

Now for something totally unrelated. In the past I fed deer in my backyard. They would come in to feed paying little attention to my black lab. But if our cat was outside they would freak out. Necks stretched, stomping feet. huffing etc.

I've had bear feeding well until 2 days ago. Started noticing timber wolf tracks on my 4 wheeler trail in. They aren't going to the bait site so says my trail cam. But the last two nights while sitting in my ground blind a whole pack starts howling very close, like 100 to 200 yds close! They haven't winded me, wrong wind. Has to be at least ten wolves when the get going. Kinda uncomfortable when your bow hunting a ground blind. Bear were hitting good in daylight before this. Do wolves make bear leave an area from anyones experience? Seems feasible to me as I am uncomfotable with a pack running around so close! And they are not coyotes for those who say they might be. Will bear vacate an area if an active wolf pack is there?

Nothing quite like sitting in your stand in the morning with those guys howling all around you. The only thing more exciting is following a blood trail through thick brush knowing there is a pack in the area also. Or hanging a deer back at camp and listening to them howl. Last year we had full moons twice while we were up hunting and boy were they loud. Sure wakes the senses up...