• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Archery opener calls?

FishingWebGuy

Just curious what calls everyone will use opening weekend if any. I don't know much about this stuff but it seems a lot of the calls are better closer to rut.

Thoughts?

I usually pretty reactive with calls all season long. Meaning I pattern the deer, set up on what I feel will be the most productive trails/routes and wait - silently. I will blow on a grunt call if a buck's headed in the other direction that I see. Or I may tip my can call mid-day if I haven't seen anything but I'm a strong believer in the fact that making less noise is better than making too much. Too much potential to tip off that big buck with something that doesnt sound quite right to him. Same thing with decoys. I'll use both but I'm usually in favor of just trying to be quiet and not seen by the deer.

Buck Roar if something is heading the other way like mentioned above.

I will possibly will brush the Pack Rack together to see if something big will repond.

Otherwise I just like to watch and observe.

Mark

A doe bleat is about all I use, if at all, in the start of the season.

This year I might be calling a taxi for Opener myself. In a wedding on Opening day. frown

Last year I gruned in the young buck I shot in September with my voice. I've had better luck doing that than any store bought call I've used.

I usually don't call much any more but I have bleated in does in September and a couple of soft grunts can call in bucks. If you try these the less calling the better, more than likely you could be educating the deer.

Yea, my thought is if a buck is walking away I'd like to see if I can turn him around. I'm not gonna sit in the tree randomly making noise.

Maybe I'll get a rattle pack to test out...

You surely dont want to rattle in early season, I would give it a while before you try that.

The call I am gonna make is to my wife telling her I shot a ten point! grin

Actually you can have luck doing a little light rattling in the early season, sometimes those bucks get together and do a little sparing. Like any calling its risky but if you lightly tickle the antlers together something could show up. One time I had two yearly bucks and a small 8 under my stand opening weekend, they all took turns testing out their new velvet free head gear for about a half hour, very fun to watch.

I have never called anything myself in using early rattling but I have herd others have had success. Like most calling it probably won't work most of the time but its possible.

well i would do something if it is something I wanted to shot. better than sitting there and do nothing.Call rattle gunt bleat snort wheeze.

Like I stated earlier, I may give the rattle pack a brush together in the early season.

I am not talking CRASH-KRAK-KLATTER like mid to late October, but I have had some results in the past by tickling the pack rack together in the early season.

Do not over do it and educate them, but ocassionally will not hurt. IMO

Mark

+1 rippinlip. very light tickles no smashing no banging just barrely bump them together and only for about 5 to 6 seconds maybe a couple times over a three hour period. And never ever call to a buck that is headed towards you.

I'd rattle as loud and aggressive as you can. Mix in some wheezing and roars for good measure. At least that's what I tell the hunters on the surrounding properties. grin

Good one stick! Everyone should take note of that and remember the deer are patterning the hunters as much or more so then you are patterning them. This is especially true for mature bucks.