• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Labradingers?!

GatorBait

I have a friend who is currently in the hunt for a Labradinger. Does anyone know of any breeders within the wis/minn area? I have no idea if there any specific breeders for this type of dog, but would like to find out. Searching the net hasn't done much. For those who don't know, this is a mix between a pure bred lab and pure bred English Springer Spaniel. Appreciate any guidance.

Try Searching "mutt" or maybe springador. I get the biggest kick out of how gullible people have become. When i was a kid and way prior, mutts were mutts. Yes the term has a negative connotation but hey I knew a lot of good mutts and most could be gotten for free. Well one day not too long ago some guy let his peanut butter get dipped in his neighbors chocolate. Peanut butter guy must have been in marketing because he made up a name and told people they had all these benefits over pure bred dogs. Probably the most popular feature is, "They don't shed!" yeah right, it is true some don't but more do than don't.

I have seen yorkiepoos, labradoodles, golden doodles, shitsapoos, blah blah blah blah blah.

Bottom line? mutts now have crazy names and cost more than pure bred dogs. Used to be able to get them for free!

Nearly every animal shelter in Minnesota and Wisconsin should have a labdradinger along with a labradoodle. Also check craigslist.

Dont let these negative posts get to ya, I have a Black Lab, a chesapeake, and my wife came home with a labridinger, all are smart dogs, but when it came to training and work ethic, I'd take that $20 labridinger anyday, all you guys can talk about your purebreds and how great they are, where do you think they evolved from, 2 mutts and someone decided that it should be a breed so we will call it a smart dog, give me a break. Black Lab=province of Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.[5] The breed emerged over time from the St. John's Water Dog, (also a founding breed of the Newfoundland dog) through ad-hoc breedings by early settlers in the mid to late 16th century.[5] The forebears of the St. John's Dog are not known, but were likely a random-bred mix of English, Irish, and Portuguese working breeds.

The negative posts are simply ignored anyways. smile I have no idea about this mix, simply why I'm looking for info on it. Appreciate the helping posts though, we've only located one thus far in a wisconsin shelter. Myself, I have no interest in one, as I have my pure bred springer who has no care about being a national champ, but hey, there's nothing wrong with someone trying something a little different.

I didn't find wormdunkers post overly negative and he raises some very legit points.

My brother-in-law bought a labradoodle because his wife read somewhere that they don't shed. They do. And once they found out, of course the kids are attatched and they are stuck with one of the mangiest,homliest looking beasts on Gods' green earth. I wouldn't care if this dog could bake bread and mow the lawn, I just couldn't come home from work every day and be greeted by such an intensly ugly dog.

In case you didn't notice my post was more of a shot at people not dogs. Like I said a lot of good mutts out there. I would be willing to bet there is a pretty high rescue to ownership ratio for these Hybrid dogs breeds. I know a lot of people that buy or are interested in the Hybrid dogs. Non-hunters are the people driving the demand for these breeds. They desire them for reasons that are really not important in the grand scheme of things. Color, hair density, cute, smaller than normal, larger than normal, no shed, no allergy the list goes on. They should be buying a dog because it fits their lifestyle or the breeder has a successful track record. In the end if one of their desires are not met the dog ends up in rescue.

The difference is about 100 yrs. of breeding for specific qualities. Until these off shoots of mutts have been line bred enough to produce consistent results they are just mutts. A breeder that claims to have there own line of dogs really needs about 10 generations to claim this other wise they are just crossing other peoples bloodlines. So in order for a Labradinger to be consider a breed they should have about 10 generations.

I am not trying to dis anyone, but a Labradinger will either have lab tendencies or springer tendencies. It is just genetics. Genetics don't really blend. One gene becomes dominate. That is why some Labradoodles shed like a lab and some don't shed like a Poodle. So to produce a breed that is shed free, they need to breed none shedders for 10 generations. Then you will still the the odd pup that will pop up now & then that will shed.

There are some really awesome mutts out there, but you really won't know which breed to expect until they are a few yrs old (and your kids are attached). When picking a purebred dog you can look at 5 to 10yrs back in the gene pool and then have some idea of what the pup will be when it is 7 wks old

I could care less about this issue, however, crossed breed dogs do indeed have qualities of both breeds , and, are not simply one breed or the other.....Selection determines the various traits retained from either breed used in the cross......Just ask any hunter that uses (so-called) stags for coyote hunting,small terriers that are used for vermin hunting,or sled dogs used in the Iditorad and other races.....I'm certainly not in favor of fad breeding, but, useful hunters have been bred successfully for centuries ,and continue to be bred for legitimate reasons.

kentuck_ike x2. A reputable breeder breeding to a specific standard will give you a better idea of what you're getting. A random breed leaves a lot of questions in the air that you're spending 10+ years, a lot of money and a ton of bonding with. I'd rather know whats behind door number one before I make my choice.

why not just go buy a springer or a lab....this is a silly conversation that will eventually turn into a emotional discussion about backyard breeders and such. Figure out what you want and go get it. Flusher, retriever, or pointer, stop making new breeds we have way more then enough.

Figure out what you want and go get it. Flusher, retriever, or pointer, stop making new breeds we have way more then enough.

I like that

FYI - there are a TON of really nice springer pups available in South Central Minnesota right now. I saw about 6 of them last night - really nice pups and really good bird finders. And all are available

And nothing is as cool as a fired up Springer pup. At one time last night - we had about a dozen adult Springers and 5 or 6 puppies all running about and playing at the same time after training.

Springers are the best - I'm not sure why anyone would want a dumb old lab (LOL - just kidding guys!)

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I have to agree MM. There are some dandy springer pups that are available at Sand Creek Kennels right now. If you like to pheasant hunt these are the dogs to get.

I hunt with a lab and a springer. If it's upland pheasants the lab does well (I used to think REALLY WELL) but doesn't hold a candle to the springer.

On the other hand if we have a thin crust of ice on the water and doing water retrieves, it's no contest for my lab.

If you want a labradinger or springador as a hunting companion it's more a roll of the dice as to what you will get. I suggest a compromise and get a British Lab. They truly have the qualities one might erroneously believe a springador will definitely have.