• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

East Bethel U of M research land hunt

NaturesRespect

for archery club in school we have the privlage to hunt on the U of M research land i think its called cedar creek in east bethel. The place is a no hunting private land but only a few will ever be able to even touch the land. We will be doing a 2-3 day hunt and they have cabins or something for us to sleep. The only problem i see in this hunt is that we have no idea were the food sources are and the game trails, not sure if we will even scout the area. Not sure about hunting in stands either I will have to ask when school starts.

Theres about 10 of us in archery club both guys and gals but out of us 10 im sure only 5 of us are actually going, depending on the cost to go i may rather head off to the area i hunt instead.

For those who do know the aera or maybe even hunted the area, what can i expect the place to be like for example will it be swampy or forested? I have heard the U of M finds alot of big sheds on the land i also heard the land holds 20-30 deer per square mile or something. What seems more successful, stalking or regular wait and hunt? If we do not do any scouting then im sure the hunt will be a stalk hunt.

Check Bingmaps.com and see if you can get a birdseye view of the land. The detail is pretty amazing. Good Luck.

I bowhunt private land across the road from it and also mentored a lady for the becoming a outdoor woman spring archery turkey hunt in ceder creek and also mentoring a lady for a archery deer hunt on opening weekend of archery season in the park. There are only a couple spots that have any crops planted in the park most of the crops are on the landowners fields that surround the park. Don't even bother stalking just stand hunt find a good funnel and wait. And you are kidding your self about the no hunting people have been sneeking in and poaching deer out of the park for years also they have had a archery hunt in thier for at least the last four years the deer won't be stupid they get alot of hunting pressure.

I live 3 miles from there.

It's post oak savanna habitat,

Which means acorns, cover and water.

Nothing wrong with spot and stalk. But

your best aproach is finding fresh sign,

hunt downwind from the trails and grab a climber.

They have plenty of years of non pressure {aside from one or two poachers}

so go scent free and don't bring extra deer pee scents, or use anything like earth or fall cover scents.

I like the bing maps too. So use that to get into an area backed up by a creek and trails leading to acorn flats and where others may push deer your way. If you find a flat with heavy dense brush with a trail. Follow that, you may find an intersection of trails in there to sit on as it will most likely be a staging zone or transition area.

Be ready for bugs and water crossings, try to keep the sun outta your eyes and keep the wind in your face.

Wish I was going, Hunting in East Texas for many years, you're in for a treat as it's the same habitat. I really enjoyed it.

Best of luck to you all that's going.

also they have had a archery hunt in thier for at least the last four years the deer won't be stupid they get alot of hunting pressure.

well that's news to me..sign me up cool

Just drive down 56 to 12 during the season you will see their trucks parked in the ditches.

They confiscated 50+ stands that they found in the park this year and sold them at the auction.

Just drive down 56 to 12 during the season you will see their trucks parked in the ditches.

They confiscated 50+ stands that they found in the park this year and sold them at the auction.

wow u serious? I was told the land is a no hunting area and only few are able to hunt there every now and then. Dang 50 stands! are these from poachers or from legal hunters? and the thing you said about the area having a archery hunt every year, is it a small window hunt like lets say sept. 18 only until the 20 then closes the season? the trip is planned for october 3 for us in archery club, at least from what i heard. Im kind of confused of what your saying archerysniper

The last few years the hunting has been going on almost the whole season. I know the last 2 years they were still hunting it during the muzzleloader season. The stands I don't know if they were poachers or people on the hunt that left thier stands but still thats alot of stands.

The last few years the hunting has been going on almost the whole season. I know the last 2 years they were still hunting it during the muzzleloader season. The stands I don't know if they were poachers or people on the hunt that left thier stands but still thats alot of stands.

is this the general area or the actual research land??

AS. if you still got my # give me a call may have some ideas for ya, for BOW

I should have it in my old email. From what I hear they are going to pick areas for us but any info will help you were right on for the turkeys this spring the lady just couldn't make it out in the mornings.

I'm also not trying to get you down about the hunt it is a great opportunity for you to hunt and has alot of deer and great trophy deer in there. If you don't live to far away study up on the shineing laws and take a trip over there.