• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Packers 2010

Cooter

Sugar coat it all you want. A 7-3 loss to the Detroit Lions = Not that good.... wink

PS. Did you see the NFC North leading Bears get slaughtered by the Patriots at home? This division is weak. Just because other divisions are weak doesn't mean ours isn't as well.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkunkedAgain

• CJH

• mrklean

• The_Diesel

Agree. The Vikes may be the worst team in the division before its all said and done too.

The Vikings actually looked worse than the Pack yesterday...and that's no small feat.

Cheeseheads have to be hating the Vikes tonight...their hole just got a little bit deeper to crawl out of this year.

I think the Packers are the best team in the Division and they lost to the Lions in an ugly way. That speaks for itself IMO.

Although the Bears are 9-4 I think its obvious this clubs record doesn't reflect what this team is. When up against one of the better teams in the league they were taken apart in every way on their home field. The Bears look like a 6-7 win team. If the only thing keeping this division from being considered weak is the Bears having 9 wins that doesn't say much. They are who we thought they were.

The Vikings and Lions aren't even worth mentioning.

I'm saying it right now though... Watch out for Detroit in the future

woohoo!

is this the year that my optimism is actually justified? if they can keep stafford healthy, i think they have the pieces on both sides of the ball (and special teams, dunno how the stillers let Logan go) to have a seriously competitive team

I watched the game at a Lions fan's house in MN. I was quizzing him on whether he likes Jim Schwartz, whether Stafford is the guy, etc... We both agreed that the team is getting better but it all hinges on Stafford's ability to remain healthy. All of Shawn Hill's stats didn't amount to many wins. They need a winner at QB.

I'm saying it right now though... Watch out for Detroit in the future

Seeing that comment in the packers thread makes me think. What if the packers would have drafted Barry Sanders instead of Tony Mandarich in the 1989 draft. The packers could owned the 1990's. I think this is probably the packs worst draft miss step ever considering they passed up Derrick Thomas, Deion Sanders, and the great Barry Sanders.

In hind-sight...almost every team could come up with a scenario very similiar to that. What if....what if.....

Looks like Rodgers is out and Matt Flynn is in.

Quote:
Saturday, coach Mike McCarthy and the Green Bay medical staff made the decision to sit Rodgers for the first time in 47 games after he suffered his second concussion of the season at Detroit last Sunday. Rodgers did not practice all week, took part only in a brief amount of meeting time Friday and was a long shot to play.

Team doctors did not clear him to play. Rodgers never made it that far in the evaluation stages but will continue to take part in the recovery process until he's cleared. Unless he was completely free of symptoms and cleared by an independent neurologist, he would not be allowed to play.

So, after a week of preparing for the national stage in prime time at New England, Flynn will get his first career start.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/112131449.html

Well a good effort for the Pack. Nobody expected them to even be competitive, yet they almost pulled out the W in Boston. Have to give Flynn credit for playing pretty well, even though his inexperience showed at the end of the game. There was a Brandon Jackson sighting as well and I just love the effort Kuhn gives.

Due to the Giants loss (also next weeks opponents) two wins and they are in, after tie breakers.

Hopefully A-Rod will be ready to go. Zombo, Jenkins didn't play either (allowed the Pats to double team the Claymaker). They are keeping Jenkins on the roster (vs IR) hoping he can be ready to go for the playoffs.

Yeah Flynn didnt look to bad, i thought it was going to be a blowout, but the pack held in there, fun game to watch.

All the experts predicted blowout, but not me. I thought that the Pats would win but I thought Flynn would be well prepared, and he was.

Last week, Flynn played in his first real game after coming in for Rodgers. He led several long drives, scoring the Packers first points and also throwing the red zone INT. Not bad for an emergency situation.

This time he had an entire week to prepare and played better than 75% of NFL quarterbacks in their first NFL start. Don't forget that his first start came at NE against a team that features hall of famers, was 11-2, and had blown out its two previous opponents (playoff teams). A great start for Flynn.

It was a good game. Real rough to watch at the end, however. As always, a few mistakes buried us. Pick 6, Woodson's dropped INT, an offensive lineman running 71 yards on a kick-off... etc. But, overall, a good performance. Running actually looked legit, Jackson even had over 100 himself! And Kuhn is just an absolute beast. I've loved him from day one. Don't know why they don't utilize him more in the type of situations they did last night. The Clay-ve Man was virtually non-existent, but because the Pats focused so much on him other players were able to get some favorable match-ups and make an impact. Big game for BJ, too. Defense really looked good. They didn't lose us that game. Only really gave up 2 TDs and a Field Goal. Tough to stop a team from scoring when they start at the 4 yard-line. Those 7 points are Special Team's fault. The other 7 came on the pick 6 from Flynn.

Does anyone else feel what McCarthy has done is Coach of the Year caliber? We've lost 5 games, yes. But, look at the points spread in each loss. We were in every game. 4 points this week, 4 points last week, 2 games lost on last second field goals, and 2 games lost on OT field goals. Given all the injuries we have suffered this year, and we're still one of the most competitive teams in the league... Says a lot about the coaching staff. If not McCarthy, Capers has got to be the best D Coordinator. Coming into last night's game his defense was the number one scoring defense in the league, and we've got nearly half of the season's starters on IR! The resiliency this unit has shown this year is very impressive. Now if we can just keep guys healthy for an entire year, wouldn't that be awesome!

How about starting the game with an onside-kick!? Was that ballsy or what. Just glad it worked! McCarthy would have had some questions to answer had it not.

Another note - Collins... Is he OK? I know he was hurt last night and didn't return. Is out for the remainder of the year as well?

As an end note, Chris Collinsworth may be the single most annoying commentator on TV today. Every Sunday night I just scream at the TV for him to choke on his ego and shut the heck up. Ok. I'm done

Diesel, by your logic I'd like to nominate Jim Schwartz for Coach of the Year

and although collingsworth may sound annoying, he has extremely insightful commentary most of the time. starting to really grow on me as an announcer

I'm biased because I'm a Pack fan... But Schwartz WILL win that title some day. May not be this year, but what he has done with that organization, and turned them into a team to fear instead of laugh at... It will happen.

Collinsworth is an [PoorWordUsage]. He says stuff he has to retract every night. Such as 'That wasn't a catch' after watching a replay, then after watching the same replay a few minutes later he admits he was wrong. Or the facemask last night when he defended the guy who grabbed it because he was blocked away from the running back and couldn't do anything but reach up and grab him. He's a moron.

"Does anyone else feel what McCarthy has done is Coach of the Year caliber?"

No. Belichick will - and should - win it hands down this year. He has a total of one star player on offense, and one on defense, and he has (again) shaped a dominant team with the best record in the NFL.

It's amazing the job the NE front office and coaching staff does year in and year out.

Agreed there too. I'm not saying McCarthy SHOULD win... I'm asking if it is COTY caliber. I know, hands down, there are other coaches out there - Belichick at the top of the list, and Schwartz is deserving as well. Maybe even Del Rio in Jax - that will be voted above him for the jobs they have done... but would you consider McCarthy among one of the top coaches as well? Apparently I worded the original post wrong. Sorry

go to a real packers forum, the packer fans want lard a$$ mccarthy fired. you'll find alot of threads similar to childress's. packers are lucky to have flynn he looked pretty good, they'll need him if rodgers gets any more concussions his career is over.

He makes questionable game decisions and calls - yes. And that is why a lot of people want to see him go... But every coach makes decisions like that. How many times have the Pats gone for it on 4th down and failed, for example. I think the way he has held this team together this year through all the injuries and personnel changes and still puts a team on the field that is one or two plays away from winning every week speaks for itself. Apparently I'm the only one who feels this way though. That's fine. We're all Packer fans right?

No. Belichick will - and should - win it hands down this year. He has a total of one star player on offense, and one on defense, and he has (again) shaped a dominant team with the best record in the NFL.

It's amazing the job the NE front office and coaching staff does year in and year out.

They do a great job, but they do have 5 Pro Bowlers as well. However Belicheck seems to get the most out of his players and puts them in positions to succeed.

McCarthy and TT do deserve credit for dealing with all of the injuries and still winning. I think they are up to 14 players on IR. Smith (S) was added this weekend.

go to a real packers forum, the packer fans want lard a$$ mccarthy fired. you'll find alot of threads similar to childress's. packers are lucky to have flynn he looked pretty good, they'll need him if rodgers gets any more concussions his career is over.

There are as many people that think he is doing a good job as those that want him fired.

IMO - McCarthy is an average-to-above-average coach. He mostly makes good decisions and I like how he runs the team. He's still in his late 30s I believe, so he's got many years of evolving as a coach. I'd rather see the Packers stick with a coach and a system to foster that development into a better coach. Just like players, coaches can get better over time. They just need the same encouragement and mentoring that players need.

I just look around the league and see so much turmoil in the coaching position. Minn, Dallas, Denver - all fired their coaches. Teams hyped up to start the year have failed miserably (Cincy, and to some extent Indy and Houston) and other teams have the locker room questioning calls every week (Washington). Look at everybody in the NFC West. They all are terrible, and Singletary may be in his last season as well. I just don't see a lot of that in Green Bay. Maybe I'm oblivious or something, but I feel he's one of the better coaches in the league. Even the Giants, who have a better record than us, have fans calling for the head of their coach every other week. Heck, he brought them a Super Bowl a few years back and fans still booed him. San Diego is doing well in Dec, again, but every year they start out so slow and everyone wants Turner gone.

New Orleans, Tampa, New England, Jacksonville, Atlanta, Philly, Detroit, K.C. - they all have great coaches in place, and will probably be there for years. Those guys either have turned the organization around in past years and are continuing to win, or are currently in the process of resurrecting their franchises. Even Tom Cable in Oakland has done a good job of putting a team together without a real solid QB every week. And I think McCarthy can be added to this list of good coaches. May not be one of the best the more I think about it, but he shouldn't be fired. He's got my respect.

I'd rather see the Packers stick with a coach and a system to foster that development into a better coach. Just like players, coaches can get better over time.

That's pretty much sums up my feelings but there's a lot of fans out there calling for his head. Like you said, I'd rathr they stink with him for at least 2 more years and see how he does with a little more talent (especially along the O-line) and a lot less injuries. I wouldn't mind seeing Slocum and Campen getting the ax at the end of the season though.

I wouldn't mind seeing Slocum and Campen getting the ax at the end of the season though.

I have no problem with that!! I am sick of the OLine getting blown up and not being able to get one yard. The amount of good returns against our ST coverage unit is ridiculous. Those two units are some of our biggest weaknesses.