• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Game Camera Suggestions

Lunker

Anyone have any suggestions on trail cameras, preferably the more affordable end of the line? Was browsing today, saw quite a range in prices and features, just curious what everyone suggests.

Moultrie or stealth. At least 3.0 megapixel. Stay away from wildview. I had 3, none of which are getting used anymore. Some of the higher end ones are good, like the cudde back, but I like to only spend about $100 just in case they get stolen. You don't need infrared lights, but they probably help prevent spooking game.

Every moultrie I have works great, I am not terribly impressed with picture quality, but at least it takes the picture when its supposed to.

I had a ton of trouble with the Moultrie D50's, so I upgraded to D55's and D55IR's. Seem okay so far. With the D55 you need to do the upgrade right away, speeds up by 2/3rds. Best I've found in the $100 range by far.

I have a scoutguard 560. A little pricey @ 189 but after dealing with a moultrie i40 I won't look back! The scout guard is tiny and is very very easy on the batteries.

I really like my Bushnell. Very small and takes great day and night pictures. Has also received great reviews, thats why I got one and so far have been very happy

Boar,the upgrade lets you change the delay to 15 or 30 seconds now instead of 60 seconds being the shortest delay.go to the website it is on there,make sure you download the right one.

OK I don't mean to Hi-Jack this thread, But I guess I kinda am...

What is the best trail camera on the market??

Money being no object.

I have seen Michael Waddell endorse some thing called a "Spy Cam" or something like that. Does anyone know or have expereice with this???

He claims a battery lasts up to a year and holds over a 1000 pics or video??

Any input is appricated...

OK I don't mean to Hi-Jack this thread, But I guess I kinda am...

What is the best trail camera on the market??

Money being no object.

I have seen Michael Waddell endorse some thing called a "Spy Cam" or something like that. Does anyone know or have expereice with this???

He claims a battery lasts up to a year and holds over a 1000 pics or video??

Any input is appricated...

There are pros/cons to each so I suppose "best" depends on what you are looking for. Ours are put out 4 hours away so battery life was a big factor. They are also on public land so IR and the smaller the better. If you blend the strap in with brush on some of the new small models, you will walk right past them without ever knowing they are there.

With those considerations, in my opinion, the new Bushnells and the DLC Coverts are the best out there right now. They fit in your palm and Lithium batteries last supposedly 1 year (if they get 1/2 of that life they are a win in our book).

I think some others have released models with the same form factor as those now also...

I'm a big fan of the Moultries, cheap and easy to use. I like cheap in case they 'walk away'. This spring I bought a D55IR and a D55. Not really impressed with the quality of the IR pictures but the big advantage is battery life, still 89% after 2 months. Also the newer Moultries have an external jack made for hooking up a solar panel. Or in my case I went to Radio Shack and bought an external plug and hooked it up to a 12 volt battery, it should last a long time.

Stay away from Leaf River, I have two of them, nothing but problems.

What you get with the more expensive cameras is better trigger speed, if thats important, spend the extra bucks. I set mine over salt blocks, so thats not an issue.

Do an internet search on 'trail camera reviews', that one that starts with 'chasing' has a ton of info.

Good luck and post back with what you decided on and how you like it.

I have two Moutrie I55's and one D50. I like the Inferred flash better then the digital. Yes the digital looks better but it drains battery life in a heart beat.

Cameras I've had:

Primos Truth Cam 35

Very Loud! Could hear it 15 feet away. Great Pictures 2540 in 5 days not one deer. Then it locked up on me after being in the woods for 5 days. Probable one of the easiest cameras to set.

Stealth Cam Sniper Pro IR

Hardest camera I have ever programed. Amazing pictures both day and night. Loved the 5 shot burst. Locked up one day and took the company 2 months to pay me back.

Wild Game Innovations IR-4

Cheap camera, slow trigger for camera no burst mood but amazing video's. Some better quality could go into them. I did have 3 or 4 this spring that I returned because of different reasons mainly it locking up.

Finally got tired of replacing it and tried the Primos then heard how loud the primos was and when it locked up I got another Moultrie I55. Got one from Fleet Farm for 95 dollars so heck of a deal.