• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

First year turkey hunting

Hooves

I started hunting about two years ago mostly upland and deer with the in-laws. I wanted to try a little turkey hunting this year. I plan on going to public lands between south metro and rochester. I don't really know what I am doing just going to get the camo on and go give it a try this year so any beginner tips would be great. I have been reading some forums and some books from the library. Thanks

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Hooves,

If you do a search of this forum you'll find some great info from last spring and of course with teh fall season approaching there'll be some talk about fall tactics.

Turkey hunting is a blast!

I know with public land it's a bit harder but scout scout scout. My first time turkey hunting this spring. I had private land but we scouted like crazy. Three weeks before the first season we hadn't a turkey scouted yet. The next three weeks we had a hard time getting out to the woods without spooking a flock. We also used trail cameras which were awesome because we put them out in a few spots where we had ground blinds and I knew which one was hot and when they were coming out. Granted I got out there the first morning and every turkey I saw was at the other ground blind 100 yards away but I called in my tom and an hour and a half after I got in the ground blind I had my turkey with a bow. Trail cameras are worth their weight in gold in my book for scouting. If you go to You Tube and search codyfishinghill you will see all of my videos and the turkey ones I just posted the other day and take a look to get your blood flowing!

Good luck and just wait around march when we all have cabin fever and turkey season is only a month away thier will be alot of good info then and alot of us pokeing fun at each other with the turkey contest.

Plus thier is no such thing as a little turkey hunting you will get hooked after that gobbler scares you with that first within 30 yards.