• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bear Hide Tanning

lungdeflator

I dont know if this is the place to ask...Does anybody know steps to take if I want to tan my own bear hide (fur on)? Im sure its not to different than other critters, but I dont know how to do those either. I know I want to scrape all the flesh off. And Ive heard some stuff about Krowtann 2000 from Van Dykes

There are many different tanning agents on the market today.

Yes, you will need to flesh of all the fat and then salt it to dry. Make sure you get of all the fat as the hair could slip if you do not.

It might be worth checking into having it done by a tannery as there are some tricks to getting a job that will last with all the hair still attached to the hide. You will also want to make sure during the tanning process that you follow the directions to a T or you may not have the hide you were hoping for.

Good luck.

I've heard tanning bears are tough because they're greasey. What happens if it doesnt work out, are you willing to throw it away. It would cost about 225 for a 140# bear and Thats fleshing and tanning. Some of those chemicals have a very strong odor. So you might have to do it outdoors if you're married, plus maybe need saftey equipment. Check some taxidermy websites for help. If you try it and you're sucessful let us know.

You're better off having a taxidermist send it in to get it tanned, I do my oun shoulder mount tanning but for rug work or flat tanning you'll need some big tumblers to do a good job. The first most important thing is to get it fleshed down the hide which a fleshing machine is used for then it'll need to be put in a pickle bath that swells the hide and then it's put back on the fleshing machine to thin the hide so when it's tumbled it'll break the hide so it'll be softened and cleaned. So a bear hide tanned without a fleshing machine don't expect it to turn out soft it'll be really stiff and not very pliable.

KIM

Well going to college and I have more time than money. I scraped off all the fat and tissue I could before it got extremely greasy. So I dumped alot of kitty litter on the underside to soak up the grease. Its been sitting for 1.5 days, my hope being that it is pretty dry by tonight so I can get the final amounts of tissue off

You have to "salt" the hide...if you don't have access to a taxidermy supply shop, you can just use pickling salt...it sets the hair and helps in beginging the drying process...I don't think kitty litter is going to do that!! I'd start checking the hair for slippage ASAP!! Grab a few spots of hair and pull...if you can pull it out...your hide is shot.