• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

suggestions for a new hunter... well not new but new to archery.

stifler51

I use to be huge into duck and goose hunting, well since HS is over and college has come and gone. A lot of my buddy have givin up the grind for waterfowl. And by gring i mean hot cold rain or snow, every weekend we were out there sat/sun till the end of the season. Dont know why they gave up... Laziness? maybe, working a real job? maybe, wife/gfs? maybe. All or few of them prolly contributed them not havin the drive to get out there for ducks. So i end up only going a few times a year now, fair weather waterfowler i guess u could lable it. So im looking into some other form of hunting that can take up more of the fall besides pheasant hunting. I havent shot a bow since i was prolly 14 or so. Ive heard a lot of get this or that. My question is, since i have the money, should i get an expensive high end bow like a mathews hoyt or the like? or should i start with a lesser bow? ive heard a lot of if u can afford it get a high end,because with the proper care the bow should last you forever so spend the money now instead of wanting it later. Any other tips or must have equiptment that u use let me know. I have deer hunted before but only slug and never shot one, and it was only drive hunting which didnt tickle my fancy, since it just seemed to sketchy and like a warzone.

Thanks Matt

My advice is to go to a few archery shops and shoot bows to see what you like. I bought a Mathews Outback a few years back and still love it. I'd suggest getting a bow that feels good to you, regardless of cost. You may like a $4-500 bow instead of $800 and like it more. I suggest a drop away rest, sight with protected fiber optics, and a comfortable release.

You may like a $4-500 bow instead of $800 and like it more. I suggest a drop away rest, sight with protected fiber optics, and a comfortable release.

x2

Buying a new expensive bow is not a necessity especially since you are just starting bow hunting. Who knows, you may not enjoy it, although i don't know how you couldn't! wink Shoot all different kinds and brands of bows and see what feels best in your hands and that is the bow you should shoot! I personally have only shot bowtech and did put the money down on a new bowtech destroyer 340 and it was well worth it!!

Dropaways are very very nice but if you are just starting out a whisker buscuit may be best for you right now! Make sure to go to an actual archery shop as they will have the most knowledge to help you out....not a gander mountain or cabelas or so on!

Enjoy the archery excperience cause there is nothing better than sitting on stand day after day in the great outdoors!! Shooting one is just a bonus!

If you are just starting out I would suggest you get a used bow and save some $$$ for other equipment you will need. When you are just starting out you really don't know what you will want in a bow, after you get a couple years under your belt and do a lot of shooting you will have a much better understanding about archery and bows. If you end up loving bowhunting you will probably end up wanting a new bow down the road anyway so like I said save some $$$ and give it a try before diving in.

You can also find used or less expensive bows today that are very close to the high end bows today.

You know its funny, I use to be a hard core duck/goose guy myself but I gave bowhunting a try and fell in love. I still get into the duck blind once or twice a year but not like I use to. I should try and get the old duck crew together again, we had some fun back in the day.

I was in your exact shoes a year ago. I ended up coughing over the money for a new bow, because it was hard to find the draw length and weight I wanted in a used one. (But I'm 5-8, so that may have increased the challenge, as I think it's newer technology that has allowed short guys like me the opportnunity to shoot higher poundage comfortably.)

I went through an on-line dealer that tuned the bow to my specs, and I purchased it "ready to hunt" - w/arrows, case, sights, whole 9 yards. As a rookie, that was the way to go for me.

I agree with what alot of the others will tell you though: The first year, almost everything else (clothing, scent removal products, stand) will be more important than your bow, as you learn all the little things that go into just getting to within shooting distance of a deer. I know that sounds obvious, but I won't lie, I underestimated how much I had to learn in that regard, just because I had hunted, but not bow hunted.

All that said, I'm glad I spent the money on a bow I really like to shoot. Shooting is a hobby you can use all year long - you can only hunt for a few months, after all. Use this site as a resource as much as you can. Including the "tips" post in this forum. You'll pick up alot of little things that'll help. Good luck!

One can find some good used bows for way less that will get the job done. Mnay deer are shot with older bows. Drop away rest would also be good.

Don't get to caught up in the arrow speed deal.

Don't get to caught up in the arrow speed deal.

Amen to that! Lots of people are fixated on arrow speed when they'd be way better off worrying more about how quiet their bow is and even more importantly, if they can put their arrows where they want them to go. Speed means nothing if 1) the deer ducks the loud shot (arrow speed can't even come close to a deer's reaction time if it's jumpy), and 2) inaccuracy.

Lots of great advice above. Have fun and good luck!

Amen to that! Lots of people are fixated on arrow speed when they'd be way better off worrying more about how quiet their bow is and even more importantly, if they can put their arrows where they want them to go. Speed means nothing if 1) the deer ducks the loud shot (arrow speed can't even come close to a deer's reaction time if it's jumpy), and 2) inaccuracy.

X100

thanks for the help, went and shot a few bows at 3 different places, liked the mathews but dont know if i wanna spend 850$ on a bow only so still in the hunt for something.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Dont spend an arm and a leg on the bow cuz yer gonna need accesories. Lotta good used stuff out there also. I bought a 2004 Hout Ultratec in 2005 on Archery Talk for 400 bucks and it still shoots like the day I got it. Just make surebyou get some referrals if you buy this way. Or from a local pro shop. Find what fits then do a serch. Drop away rest (QAD), fiberoptics sight (TOXONICS), good arrows and broadheads, A release that comfy. Binos, rangefinder, quiver. Good knife with a gut hook, makes the chore a ton easier. Most of all, Have fun!!

I would go with a less expensive, quality bow for your first. Used or new doesn't really make a difference though you could get a nicer used bow for your money if you do your homework and look around a bit. The theory is see if you like bowhunting first and then buy up later if you want. I have an entry level parker I still love from when I first started a number of years. A few new strings and accessories and it still works for me. Plus, not going all out the first time around allows you to trade up and make that new purchase later, which is kind of exciting.

Ditto on the arrow speed hoopla. Worry about silencing your bow and hitting your target. Also, when it comes to sights, don't feel you need one with 8 pins unless you're doing competative target shooting. Frankly, I don't know how anyone could have more than three pins on their sight at the very most when hunting. So confusing. I only use one sighted in at 25 yards and adjust from there as needed. Finally, I love the whisker biscuit, though many will tell you you're a fool unless you go with a drop away or that you'll look like a rookie with the biscuit. But I've never had an arrow fall out of my biscuit when hunting or have the biscuit malfuntion. I can't say the same for a dropaway, which is why the biscuit is so great for spot and stalk (how I nailed a nice doe last year).

sooooo...... ummmm ..... yea...... i shot quite a few bows and only one bow really stuck in my head. I decided to support the local mom and pop outdoor store in my smaller town. And ended up getting a mathews z7 #70. Idk if it was the atomosphere, but he was very talkative and helpful. Spent a good 3hrs or so BSin talking one on one. And idk about u but it feels good to a person not just a number like most box stores. I went to some of the other box stores, took me 30min to an hour if not more to get the attention of someone to even test shoot something and i always felt like 1-2 shots and "o your done put it away." After the shot, everyone seemed so distant (doing the whole look around,mmhmm nod,are u done yet thing). My local bow shop only sells the Mathews line and doesnt carry a ton of bows. So great bow, great service, same price, had me sold.

Like your comments, Deerminator, about the Whisker Biscuit. For a beginner, or an older guy like me, it's the only way to go! I also like to do a little walking from time to time. Stifler, my brother-in-law shoots a Drenalin and he uses the Whisker Biscuit. So, what other accessories did you get? Have you had a practice session or two away from the shop? The great thing about buying local, if anything happens, you'll get great service, just like you got when you bought it. Good luck this season.

Congrats on the bow purchase. I highly doubt you will regret it. Bow hunting is about as fun as it gets, and the Z7 is defninetly a nice bow (although I'm a Hoyt guy!grin). As far as accessories, etc., there are many good options, the biggest thing is making sure the bow is set up correctly.

In the end, the bow won't really matter. Its the guy behind the bow. So be sure to practice, practice, practice and pay attention to your equipment (maintenance, tuning, etc.).

Watch out, its addicting, bow hunting has certainly become my passion.

Usually, after buying some expensive toy, you always get that should i or shouldnt i have done it feel. Well yep dont have that. So i think im gonna be hooked, I love the whisp sound from and arrow as it rips thru the air. As far as accessories, i only got a downforce rest, g5 peep and d-loop put on. I didnt pick up the rest of the accessories cuz they were more expensive then cabelas/FF etc. Plus cabelas has the if u spend X dollars u get so much on a card promo right now. When we set up the dloop/peep, i forgot to bring my release and havent settled on a sight yet, He opened a release and a brand new sight just to have something to look at to set the peep up and draw. Plan on picking up a sight and arrows today and heading out to the farm to put some arrows thru it.

Remember that your paying for service at the archery shop and they'll likely put on the stuff you buy from them for free.

I'd caution you about buying stuff at another store and having the local shop put it on for you...otherwise put it on yourself, its not that tough.

As to the WB rest...try letting down from full draw (quietly) with anything but a WB and your arrow can bang around and make noise or fall off the rest.

ill put on the accessories myself. i just knew that the downforce rest and peep all tie into the string and i dont have a press to do that. As far as the D-loop goes i could do that but he threw it in for free so it didnt matter.