• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Acorns? $#@*!

lungdeflator

Started baiting as soon as law would allow and was getting hit and eaten up by 4-5 bears every time. Some hitting as soon as 15 mins after I left. This last Tuesday I went in and it wasnt hit. No pics on the cam. So I baited as usual. Last night I went in and had it hit by not by much. I tried something different, liquid smoke and beaver gland. Didnt see anything while on stand.

All the while Ive been baiting Ive been watching the acorns, sure enough with some windy days last weekend they started coming down hard. Gol Dang. Is there anything to compete a little better with the acorns?

Bigger acorns!! wink Just hang in there, the bears will be back...you got a month and a half of hunting left and as the natural food dries up, your baits will be getting hit harder...You said when you went in yesterday that it was hit "just a little"...perhaps you spooked the bear off the bait and it was reluctant to come back before dark...I've had that go both ways...spook a bear off when walking in and see nothing...and other times the bear will come back half an hour after I climb in the tree....just depends on the bear, they all have thier own attitude...

Yea lunger, fox makes a great point, this is where we seperate the cubs from the boars, hang in there an tough it out. Keep you site fresh an greased if ya use it, when the natural forage is gone in a couple weeks, they will really stasrt to roam looking for a food source. This is where you'll wanna be open for bussiness. This is also a time when alot of hunters pack it in, so the crib numbers decline also. If you can make it till the last part of sept. into October. It's worth it. Most times. boar

I dont know if I have enough bait to go that long. I was baiting every 3rd day for awhile before it shut off. Do is it even worth hunting for the next week or so while the acorns are still dropping? Or would it be better to sit back and wait?

Hmmmm... that dose pose a delima dosent it, but the thing is overall is to keep checking it every couple days, if it's not getting hit then dont put food in for something that is'nt feeding but dont leave it empty either, what you could do is buy a fifty lb bag of dog food an add ten pounds as needed, like if it gets rained out ect. You can make dog food, grease an table scraps go along way if needed to, an save the good primary feed for when it starts getting hit again, bushell of oats at the elevator is cheap an gose along way with grease or mollassas. I would sit every chance I had if my bait was getting hit like yours is/was. Boar

Try some acorn rage got some pics of a bear eating the pile I put out for the deer last year he didn't leave till it was all gone.