• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Last night's game

DonBo

I can see why Detroit has taken such a big dive lately. Their defense is horrible, but some of the decision making...In the 10th, with a runner on second and first base open, can anyone tell me why they even pitched to Valencia? He's been our hottest hitter at home and there was no one batting behind him. I'd have walked him without a second thought and taken my chances with Morales and Repko.

Great game last night - what a pitcher's duel! Donbo - Detroit made some spectacular defensive plays in the middle innings last night, or the Twins would have won in regulation. In one inning (can't remember which one) their outfield robbed us of two hits in the same inning with great catches.

I agree completely with you about the end of the game, though. Det must have felt they have a good plan to attack Valencia, but I would have rather pitched to the recent call up and the journeyman than Valencia, who has been a good producer in the second half.

Now if we can just get Chicago to stop pulling late-inning wins out of their butts!

Yep, two of the three outfields made great plays that inning. The third outfielder had an opportunity that same inning and booted it so bad I thought it was Delmon out there. eek

Anyway, you're right. The pitching was awesome on both sides and it was a very entertaining game to watch, especially with the outcome. smile

I have always hated intentional walks. Make them earn their way onto the bases. Now a hot hitter in this situation I would have pitched to him, but not given him anything good to hit, and would have thrown him 4 pitches outside the box. If he swings, and makes contact, hopefully it would be to an infielder. Otherwise walk him, and go for the double play.

Valentia hit a good pitch....low and away fastball, he just went down and got it.

Scherzer must have felt he was on vacation last night.....RHer pitching against Mn and don't have to face Morneau, Kubel, or Thome (except for PH). I think Detroit felt more comfortable , with their RHer facing a RHer(Valentia) than facing the on-deck LHer(Moralis).

leyland gets way too much credit for being a good manager. his teams consistently tank in the second half.

the move is to walk him, and get the double play ball in order with one out. the runner on 2nd is the only one that matters.

if gardy did the same move, this message board would be blowing up.

LOL Amish! We all know Gardy doesn't know what he's doing anyway!... grin

Just to nit-pick a little the Tigers in spite of many key injuries I do believe were the hottest team in baseball coming into this series and we are lucky to escape with 2 one run wins at home.

Go Twins!

i did a little digging because i was curious - in nineteen seasons as manager, leyland has only four seasons with a winning second half. this year, they're 17-30 since the break.