• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

CIrcled my bait-but won't commit

matchset

i had a big boy circle my bait. he was rolling logs and making quite a ruckus..., growling and popping his teeth at me for over an hour this evening. how do i get him to come in???

i knew he was held up close by; cuz when i got on stand at 2:38, it wasn't but 7 min before i heard him stand up and pop at me three times!

what do i do differently?

Sounds to me like a territorial boar that's not to excited about you being there. He definately knows you're there. Making that much noise says "leave" or I'm gonna pound you.

Boar's right. Two in and one out, although he likely sees you in stand, or resituate yourself, conceal yourself well, and pop him when he pokes his head out. He'll only give you one chance, but you're gonna have to be very stealthy.

You'll get him. Just think like he does. Great food. It's mine, and I'm gonna protect it! Try ground blind where he cannot see you, but you can still see the bait pile. It'll be a tricky, quick shot, but with this one, it may be all you'll have.

If the 2 in 1 out doesn't work try putting a stand farther out of the first stand. Try the 2 in 1 out again and get dropped off at the outer stand and have the buddy go into the bait and then leave. You might see him circling your first stand then. Lot of monkeying around but there is a reason that bear has been around for awhile.

Fresh scat off another bait site might encourage him a little along with leaving him a handful of bait.

As said above, move stand out some and check wind from stand to where you hear bear. Scat from other bear and stay still.

Try all of the above and then some. Go in earlier. Move stand and conceal yourself well. Take great scent control measures. 2 in, 1 out, he makes noise while you get set up. Leave very little bait or take it out with you - a couple times of that might tempt him to come in earlier if he thinks he's missing out on the food. Fresh scat from another bear. Try putting down different food or a different new scent. Try a honey or bacon burn - those are sometimes irresistable. Toward the end of your last sit or two, if you feel he's still around, try whuffing like another bear. You seem to have the best and worst possible scenario - a big bear has taken over your bait, but he's laying close enough to keep tabs on you. Be persistent, you've got a good chance. And as it gets colder and later the odds shift in your favor a bit, his stomach will overrule his cautiousness. Good luck!

Hang another stand, one gose in a rebaits, the other climbs into secodary stand, finish baiting an climb into stand, primary stand hunter gets down an walks out 45-30 minuets before dark leaving secondary stand hunter to shoot bear as hes comes in thinking the coast is clear, boar