• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Decoy Spreads

We have a trip planned in early October. Where we will be hunting (north of Winnipeg) there will be large amount of Canada Geese, Snow Geese and Ducks (even Sandhills). What type of spread would you go with? Will snows decoy into Canada Goose decoys (I know ducks will)? Will Canada's decoy into Snow Decoys or will they shy away? What are some of my options.

Here are the tools I have to work with.

7 dozen full body Canada Geese

4 dozen sillohetes

4 dozen full body mallard decoys

6 spinning wing duck decoys

3 dozen full body snow goose decoys

10 dozen rags (snows)

I plan on bringing all of it just not sure how to put it all together.

...you're going to Canada? With all that?! Heck...you could kill your limit of everything with nothing but black and white balloons for decoys and a green T-shirt for camo.

The birds up there are DUMB. They haven't been shot at (well hardly) and are just starting to head south. If I were you, I'd bring you snow rags (since they don't take up much space) a couple dozen fullbodies, your sillos, two spinners and that's it. You can kill anything over that spread. Heck, you probably won't even need the spinners.

Good luck! wink

...you're going to Canada? With all that?! Heck...you could kill your limit of everything with nothing but black and white balloons for decoys and a green T-shirt for camo.

The birds up there are DUMB. They haven't been shot at (well hardly) and are just starting to head south. If I were you, I'd bring you snow rags (since they don't take up much space) a couple dozen fullbodies, your sillos, two spinners and that's it. You can kill anything over that spread. Heck, you probably won't even need the spinners.

Good luck! wink

Yeah, Oak Hammock just north of Winnipeg the first week of October. It's no fun if you don't have to get up early to put out decoys. smile My main question is what is the best setup that will allow us to decoy snows, canada's, mallards and pintail into the same spread? Is there such a thing? If I have to give up snows so I can shoot Canada's and Ducks I am okay with it.

My uncle goes up every year just to shoot snows. All they use are cheap Texas rags. They get everything into those spreads. Doesn't matter. Ducks, Candada geese, lessers, specks, snows and blues...you name it. I'd put out your Canadas in the main group and smatter in the snows. Put your duck decoys about 40 yards downwind. If you want to shoot everything, leave the spinners in the truck or get a remote so you can turn them off. If you just care about ducks, bring the spinners.

I hunt just north of there and although there are lots of birds you still need to be where they want to be, so scouting is critical. I usually put the canadas and snows in separate groups. If you look at geese in the field the Canadas and snows are usually feeding in different groups not all mixed up.

We usually put out the Canadas and ducks out and put our blinds in with them. We leave a gap and then put the snows up wind behind us. That way you get a crack at the snows as they pass over.

Good luck and have fun,

Duckster

• 2 weeks later...

Any others ideas or comments? Loading the trailer this weekend. I am going to leave the rags at home an only bring 3 dozen full body snows/blues. I would much rather shoot canadians and mallards anyways. I picked up remotes for three of my spinners. Can't wait to try it out.

Good Luck, I've always wanted to hunt up in Canada...some day however. Post your reports and a pic or two when you come back. Whack em Beast!

Been going to that area for about 8 years. Ducks will decoy into all spreads and you really should not have a hard time getting limits of ducks. We have found that canadas really don't want to decoy into the snows. For snows the movement is key along with a good call. You cant use a electric call with ducks or canadians in the spread and to finish snows you need an e call IMO. I think we have 60 dozen sillosocks and dont bother with full bodys for snows anymore. Also, if you have a vortex decoy machine buy some sillosock flappers and put those on it. We used 3 of them last year and it was insane for both snows and ducks, leave it in the trailer if you are shooting for dark geese. When you scout try to find fields where ducks and canadians are using and another that the snows are using and in the morning check the weather. If its cloudy,windy and pray for fog grab the snow spread. If its going to be sunny and no wind, grab the full body canadas and spinners and pound some ducks/geese. I will never go to north dakota again when all you have to do is drive 5 hrs north and have first shots at these birds and almost no other hunters. We have never been turned down on access to a field unless someone else was hunting it and that only happened a few times. Have fun!

OHH, this year you can also have a 3 days limit.. so bring another cooler smile

We will be up 2nd -8th

WOOOhooo

Yeah I noticed the bring home limit is 24 ducks and 15 dark geese (that is a ton of fowl). We are hunting the 29th - Oct 3rd. Should be fun! Finished wiring the spinners this weekend to run remotely.