• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

sighting in question

lakeshoremunster

someone told me that if you zero in your rifle in at 25 yards and it will also be on at 100 yards, I dont have a range to test this theory out because the only range i have access to is bills over in circle pines and they have a 50 yard range only, I did site it in at 25 and notice that it shot two to three inches high at 50.

I know my .300 win mags is peatty close to dead on at 25 and also at a 100. But I still check it at 100 too make sure.

Go on the internet and find the bullistics for the brand of ammo your shooting and sight in according to that. It will show you zero @ 100 yrds and your + or - at 50,75,150, ect. I would start their but would also check to give me the confidance to take a longer shot.

This is a somewhat true theory, however the problem lies in the practice of actually shooting the 100 yard (or more) distance. Your sight line is very long in relation to your target distance at 25 yards, and much smaller at 100. It's an ever increasing angle, so any error is magnified over distance, thats why its called minute of angle, it's like radians forming a circle. Its a great practice for starting out if you have not had a firearm boresighted, but don't go out with just sighting and relying on a 25 yard target.

DO NOT take into any consideration where you are at 50 yds. If you you're using the 25yd > 100 yd method. The bullet is typically still rising due to your ballistics.

I run the line for Deer Rifle Sight in every year at my local club. And I see many folks wanting to proceed from 25yd to 50 to 100...

Don't do it otherwise just chalk up another 1/2 box of ammo readjusting everything a 3rd un-needed time.

Now for 200yds, again based on caliber type. If you're 1.5 - 2 inches high at 100 you should be good to go at 200 yd. But again that's rough but it'll get you very close.

there is an old rule of thumb; dead on at 25...dead on at 250. Not always true. I've found with all my calibers that if I'm dead on at 25 I'll be alittle high at 100. 25 is a good starting point to get you on paper after a bore sight and a fair prediction where you will be at 100. But there always is going to be some adjustment once you go from 25 to 100 to where you want your pattern. After getting my pattern adjusted to 2 inches high I go to 200 and see what I'm getting and leave it alone from there.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Rivergroup
      Heading up to LV a week from today with the kids. Any advice for us? Staying on the West side but open to traveling if the weather permits.   The way the last few weeks have gone, might stay for good!!!
    • leech~~
      Do have Wi-Fi in your house. Your going to need that to work with any of the cameras that send a signal and video to your phone.  Hardwire is the best but battery power workers well for about two months then you have to pull them and recharge them.  It is nice to sit on a beach in Key West and keep an eye on your house when gone! 👌
    • smurfy
      SO.......you dont think the BEWARE OF WIFE sign is sufficient???? 😂😄   seriously.......i'm no help!!!!
    • Dash 1
      With all the craziness in the world I’m looking at getting an outdoor security camera setup for my home. Anyone have ideas on what works well without a huge cost  and easy to do . Or is it better to go with a company to set it up.  We have recently had copper thefts in the area at farmers fields and bin sites and I know it will only gat worse as these things always do. I probably want something that hooks up to my phone as well and wondering if there is a good one with either battery life or if wired is better. Any thoughts are welcome. 
    • SkunkedAgain
      Aren't they the ones that ran into problems about illegal bait? Anyone know how that turned out?
    • chaffmj
      You launch on Moose Lake to get to the motorized portage. It's called Prairie portage. To get to the portage you put in at Moose Lake. From Moose you go into Newfound Lake. From Newfound you go into Sucker Lake. On Sucker is where Prairie portage is. There is a dock on the American side and on the Canadian side there is big sign welcoming you to Canada. Latourell's Resort runs the portage and the cost for the portage is $40 for a round trip.
    • mulefarm
      Will that blond haired kid have that cool little orange boat in the show this weekend? Saw him driving around by Muskego Point a few times this summer.
    • smurfy
      Hey  stranger!!👌
    • delcecchi
      Nope, there are parts of Basswood that allow motors.   Entry is from Fall Lake, and there is (I think) a motorized portage.   It is really popular in the spring...
    • smurfy
      had that happen last year on a lake. doing pretty good with sunfish till momma 2 youngins showed up........we moved!!!!🥴 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.