• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

which broadhead for me?

NaturesRespect

No debates about wich ones are best i just want some broadheads of either fixed blade or mechanicals, flys like field points, has a good cut diameter, broadheads and replacement blade should be lower than $40 maybe even $30. I dont have a whole lot to replace the blade for my NAP Spitfires, seriously? $20 for small replacement blades. Im thinking of buying muzzys either the 3 pack for around $20 or the 6 pack but is there better stuff out there for cheap? Wally world has some pretty dang cheap broadheads from a company i never heard of they are pretty much knock offs of a NAP spitfire or cheap fixed bladers.

reason im asking is because my NAP Spitfires are very dull even though they look new resharpening is hard because the blades are small. replacements are $20 so maybe add another 5 for new heads plus my heads right now are kinda scratched up.

i would go with the blue 100gr 4 blade muzzy, strong durable easy to replace, fairly cheap, have always shot straight in my bows. I use them and have no regrets and they kill deer just fine.

NaturesRespect, you might consider some of the older style Magnus heads. The screw on 2-blade and Snuffer (not the SS) heads you can sometimes find on sale/clearance for $20 or less for a six pack. They are fixed blade. The Snuffers are meant for slower bows and can be tough to get to fly right on new 300fps+ bows I've heard, but if you have a well tuned bow they should fly. I have been shooting both for quite a few years and they have performed well.

I have tried quite a few diff broadheads in the past 15 years and my dads been bowhunting for over 40, and while there are a ton of great heads out there, we have settled on good old Muzzy 3-blade 100 and 125 grains. Out of a properly tuned bow they fly great and they are about indestructable...

If I were in your position I would pick up something from Magnus. Either the Snuffer SS or Snuffer (3 blade) or Buzzcut (2 blade). Magnus backs their broadheads by a lifetime warranty, no questions asked. Meaning if your heads are getting dull and you can't sharpen it, or you shoot your head into a concrete wall or 10,000 pound boulder, you can send the broadhead back and they will replace it free of charge. That sounds like a pretty good deal to me in your situation.

FWIW, I have never shot a Magnus head, so I have no personal experience, but I have heard good things and they are a company that has been around for a long time.

There are so many good broadheads out there that I won't even try to name them all. Since you're already leaning towards the Muzzy's, I'd go with them. Great durable, dependable head that's been around forever. The #225's come in a pack of 6 and you can buy replaceable blades for them as well, all within your budget.

The Magnus heads are rock solid. The Snuffer SS's are about as good as they come. Muzzy's, Slick Tricks, G5 Strikers- all good heads.

For deer, is shoot expandables. I shot Spitfire Maxx's last year- man was I impressed with the damage they did to a deer. They are expensive- above your max price listed, but I was really happy with their performance. I did find, however, that they didn't do a very good job on deer that I flat out missed. If anyone has a suggestion for a broadhead that'll do it's job when I fail to do mine, I'd love to hear about it! laugh

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

The Magnus heads are rock solid. The Snuffer SS's are about as good as they come. Muzzy's, Slick Tricks, G5 Strikers- all good heads.

For deer, is shoot expandables. I shot Spitfire Maxx's last year- man was I impressed with the damage they did to a deer. They are expensive- above your max price listed, but I was really happy with their performance. I did find, however, that they didn't do a very good job on deer that I flat out missed. If anyone has a suggestion for a broadhead that'll do it's job when I fail to do mine, I'd love to hear about it! laugh

Maybe you should get some broadheads like Arnold used in the movie Predator. Miss a deer by 10 feet and still kill it with those babys! lol

Magnus stingers, G5 Strikers and Muzzy 3 blade all will fit the bill. They are all cut on contact blades that are on the top of the list. Price is right and replacement blades are available if you can't sharpen.

I've shot them all and they take deer. I sitll use the G5's. They are my favorite.

Check out the online auction store (not sure if I can say the name on here) for your spitfire replacement blades. Last year I picked up 8 brand new spitfire broadheads for $40 bucks, usually you pay that for 3 new ones. Never bought replacement blades off there yet but Ive seen them for around $12 from time to time. I know the replacement blades are rediculous expensive but I love the spitfires and will stick with them even with the expensive price.

I really like my 100gr 4 blade Slick Tricks Mags They Fly just like my field points. The price for 3 are around $27 and once they get dull you can either sharpen them or buy replacement blades for $13.

just came back from a local gander and they mainly sell the high priced broadheads like Rage and NAP's... all mainly in the $40-$50 range wich is way too much for me. I found a pack of magnus buzzcuts wich looks pretty cool but for $35 i also found a B-head that looks just like the magnus buzzcut except its $15 less and is slightly taller and partially wider than the buzzcuts. I found a pack of carbon express fixed blade that was $14 bucks but the blade thickness is only .014 tousands of an inch were as the muzzys were advertised at .025 thousands of an inch. how would you guys expect the blades on the cheap carbon expres with .014 blades to hold up? Im going to go to wally world to check out there B-heads, What would be a good blade thickness to go with? someone said .020 and above is good.

i personally wouldnt buy any of the non name brand broadheads. You want them to kill what your shooting i wouldnt go cheap on them i dont know about the carbon express broadhead havent heard anything about them. I shoot NAP thunderheads, a pack of 6 is $40, i think wallyworld sells 3 packs of them for $20. NAPs have preformed well for me ive been using them for 8 years and will never change.

I'd shy away from the .014 blades. If they're within your budget, I'd try to find something in the .025-.040 range. They'll hold up much better. The main thing is to make sure they're sharp.

also remeber it is shot placement that makes the kill also. After you get thoose broadheads on go out and tune your bow to shoot them were you aiming at. I think most of the times a guy would say that so and so broadhead is junk becuase they didn't take the time to tune thier bow and maybe was a poor shoot on the animal that they were shooting at. As long you stay with the name brand broadhead I wouldn't worry about the head it self.

For a fixed broadhead, one cannot go wrong with the 3 blade Muzzy's. About bulletproof.

the B-heads they sell at my local walmart are trophy rige steel fixed blade, NAP thunderhead, and muzzy 3 or 4 blades of either 85 grains up to 125.

now the cheap ones i have been talking about are from team realtree, must be realtrees low end stuff. The blades are advertised at .023 thickness and one are 1 3/8 cut and the others are either 1 inch or does not have a cutting diameter labeled. the are like muzzys but the blades and how they are put on is different. They all go for around 7-10 bucks. Im leaning twards the muzzys now but still need to decide on either a 3 blade or 4 blade, what do you guys think is better? 3 blade or 4?

heres how the cheap team realtree B-heads look.... they all have the same main body but some will have diferent color or blades

fixed-broadhead2.jpg

you get what you pay for thats how i look at some of that low priced stuff. Cabelas arrows are actually factory rejects from companies like beman, easton etc, they are still great arrows but they just didnt meet there highest expectatoins, so cableas sells them as there brand. My guess is the same with some of these broadheads, thats just my guess

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Magnus stingers for me for everything. 4 blade

I never heard anything good about the muzzy 4 blade. I'm not sure why, but they never really took off.

Personally I like the 3 blade better. You can index them with your fletchings.

As far as price, I realize it seems like a lot of money, but consider everything else you've bought for hunting. $40 for three broadheads, $13 a head, $10 an arrow, your bow, rest, sight, and release. It all adds up. Unfortunately I think too many people get down to buying broadheads and start getting tight with their money because its the last thing they are buying in the package.

Clearly you've discovered that off-brand heads are cheaper $$$-wise and quality wise. That should tell you that buying a cheap head will cost you more money in the long run. Magnus will warranty their heads if they get damaged. Most companies won't, that's money in your pocket if your head hits a rock and bends the ferrule.

I say stick to a name brand that offers spare blades or parts. You'll save money in the long run. I'm using the same 3 G5 strikers I bought 3 seasons ago. I've bought some replacement blades for ~$10. If you don't lose any, they are better than the cheapies.

Don't buy those cheap Wal-mart heads. They are junk. Support your local proshop and spend an extra dollar on some good muzzys, or I really like the G5 strykers. I shot them today at 50 yrds hitting the same dot as my feild tip.

Ok, picked up the Muzzys from Fleet Farm. I'll get a broadhead target tomorrow. When I do, they "should" fly just like my field tips, right?

Or is there anything I need to do to get them to fly like my field tips? My bow is paper tuned and walk-back tuned.

I never heard anything good about the muzzy 4 blade. I'm not sure why, but they never really took off.

I shot those one year and switched after I shot 2 deer with them, the only reason was because the blood trails where really weak. Those were the 4 blade 1" cut and that was the only reason I switch from them they are a great head and fly really well and I don't think their is a way to really destroy them exept for rocks or concrete. Also just becuse they say the practice blades fly just like the broadhead don't trust it allways take one set of the blades and shoot them to check I learned the hard way the morning before bear season 8 years ago I had the bow perfectly dialed in with the practice blades and decided to try the regular blades only to find out they were shooting low and left of the practice blades.

Muzzys never flew just like my field points they were close but a little high and right. You can either mver your rest to get both of them flying in the same spot or use the gang adjustment on your sights to get your broadheads hitting the X again.

No debates about wich ones are best i just want some broadheads of either fixed blade or mechanicals, flys like field points, has a good cut diameter, broadheads and replacement blade should be lower than $40 maybe even $30. I dont have a whole lot to replace the blade for my NAP Spitfires, seriously? $20 for small replacement blades. Im thinking of buying muzzys either the 3 pack for around $20 or the 6 pack but is there better stuff out there for cheap? Wally world has some pretty dang cheap broadheads from a company i never heard of they are pretty much knock offs of a NAP spitfire or cheap fixed bladers.

reason im asking is because my NAP Spitfires are very dull even though they look new resharpening is hard because the blades are small. replacements are $20 so maybe add another 5 for new heads plus my heads right now are kinda scratched up.

One thing we should of asked is what draw weight are you shooting. If you are shooting 50# or less I would definatly suggest a cut on contact head like a magnus ziwicky or snuffer any head in that style will get you the penatration you will need.

Archerysniper, I respect what you write on here as you seam to know alot about bows, but i have to add my experience in the field and what determined what I use now.

I went over 15 years shooting an old martin Lynz that killed many many deer over the years to a "state of the art" at the time Renegade SBD. I still hunt with it even though its almost 8 years old now. I was told at the time that I couldnt shoot fixed blade broadheads because it was to fast and a fixed blade would plane vs an expandable. I shoot 65 lbs with a 29 " draw. Well i hunted with an expandable for 2 years and in that time lost 3 deer because of not enough penetration and no pass through.

After losing a buck i hunted for for 3 years because of this very reason I was ready to give up bow hunting. I decided after many long nights thinking over and over again what "I DID" wrong. One deer shot was within 5 ft from the base of my tree and the arrow did not leave the deer. I decided to try some fixed blades. I picked muzzys, mostly because of there reputation and advertising. Low and behold they shot the same as my field tips. I was so mad at myself for taking the word of some guy at the Pro Shop that said they wouldnt work. He should have known! For anyone to say they wouldnt work was wrong.

Yeah I know there are a ton of variables with every shot taken but please remember folks you must try and find what is right for your bow, poundage, draw length etc. I went off of what others said because I didnt want to or couldnt justify spending the money to experement with different broadheads.

Take the time to try friends broadheads, ask shops to recomend a braodhead based on set up. I know personally it will eat you up later if you dont do your homework before you shoot and loose that deer of a lifetime.

Personally, Ill never shoot another expandable broadhead. Im going with the tried and true. Muzzy 3 blade 100 grain. Just my opinion.

My vote goes for the three blade Thunderheads, I've used them for years, they make a nice hole, unless you hit a big bone, like the off shoulder, they usually go right thru. My rule is that if they hit the ground, I replace the blades, I want them to be sharp!!!

Sacrifice a couple and shoot them to make sure they fly like your field points!!

After all the hours you spend scouting and in the stand, don't skimp on the final end product that is going to kill that deer for you!!

I have also had problems getting my 4 blade Muzzy to fly strait. I know I have my bow well tuned, I have shot 6 or 7 different broadheads out of my setup over the past few years and every one of them but the Muzzy 4 blade flew just like my field tips. So the easy answer is to get the good old Muzzy 3 blades and you should be a happy camper.