• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Passing time. What do you do in the bear stand?

bogwalker

I'll find out for the first time on opener. Probably mess with my GPS or read and just enjoy being in the woods. I thought about bringing binos, but since I know where the bear SHOULD be headed, I was thinking I'd rather cut down on my movement in the tree and just leave the binos at home. Anyone have suggestions on using binos or not?

I started out taking a pocket size New Testament Bible. My problem is that I can't concentrate on remaining motionless, read and watch closely enough for movement all at the same time. We have at least one shooter hitting regularly. Knowing this makes it easier to sit still.

One sunny afternoon I was deer hunting. After lunch I found a spot on a hillside where I sat leaning back against a tree. Too comfortable. I woke up rolling down the hill.

I've never bear hunted, but for turkey and deer hunting i do not bring anything for entertainment. I do my best to stay still, comfortable, awake, and alert. Guess i just enjoy the outdoors and quiet time.

I exercise my mind, while sitting as still as possible. I try to recall every deer I've shot, every bear I've shot. Every bear my buddies have shot etc. It's not always hunting stuff, but I'm always thinking of something. I have a huge capacity for sitting still and thinking. It's something I've developed because I love to hunt big game, not vice versa.

I usually think of projects to do. What can I make, how could I make something better. How many bolts, etc would it take. I don't bear hunt but in the deer stand, I can usually pass a few hours pondering things like that. I used to listen to the radio in my truck heading out to the stand, but I would always get one song stuck in my head for the entire morning so I stopped doing that. A buddy of mine reads the whole time, so he likes to give me projects to think about while he reads. Makes for interesting campfires later in the evening trying to relay my thoughts to him. I think I have built 20-30 ice houses and cabins in my mind the last few years in the deer stand.

BW. What a great question. And I love the answer you gave.

When I'm in stand, no matter what the weather, I find myself almost constantly talking to the Lord. I watch in wonder at all that He's created, and thank Him for all of it, and for everything He's given me and my family.

Several times I've tried to bring a New Testament Bible with me to read, and it's always wonderful to read the word, but I find my eyes always wandering around the forest and fields. Just quietly watching and listening to this beautiful world from my tree stand is the most inspiring experience I have.

I do a lot of praying out there but I find that being surrounded by His creation helps me to listen more closely to Him.

read and listen. birds go quite, chipmunks run off and give,m hell and ears seem more sensitive to noise's and keep me looking up and losing my place

Last night I was sitting in stand an doing alot of selfreflection as It was starting to rain, As the rain still came down for an hour I was doing Alot if thinking of allchanges in my life over the last 6 years since I quit drinking. So as I sat there listenning to the rain fall an wondering why after all these years of being clear in the mind had I forgotten to take my rain gear. Boar

So as I sat there listenning to the rain fall an wondering why after all these years of being clear in the mind had I forgotten to take my rain gear. Boar

grin Drip,,,,drip,,,,,drip,,,,drip,,,,drip. confusedgrin

Honestly. That is the first time I've truly laughed out loud while reading something on my computer. I'm still laughing! I have tears in my eyes!!!

As always, perfect! I can't stop laughing!!! cry

I had to come back and read that again!!! Boar. That is the funniest thing I've read on this website, ever!!! Honestly, I still can't stop laughing.

The best! Thanks for the laugh..... still laughing..... laugh