• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Roger Clemens

foulpole18

Does anyone else think its stupid that Clemens is being arraigned for lying to congress. Seems to me that lying to a bunch of liars would be no harm no foul. you would think congress would know that congress would know they were being lied to (you know you can't snow the snowman).

You would think that congress would have something better to do that worry about roger clemmens and if he was a liar. I think that it was a complete waist of government resources to question anyone about this. Its baseballs problem and I think baseball should deal with it not the government.

I disagree.....Clemens Lawyer told Roger to make sure you do not lie to congress or you may be charged with multiple felony's including Perjury!. Unfortunately Rogers EGO got in the way of telling the truth and he is being charged accordingly.

Hopefully he gets the max in terms of prison time "6 months" and fines for lying to congress about the performance enhancing drugs we all know he used.

i'm glad congress is spending time prosecuting former lying/juiced up MLB players, because that is clearly one of the biggest problems in our country right now.

/sarcasm

[PoorWordUsage]. We have felons serving 6 months for all kinds of crime that says 20 plus! He"s a liar like mac and sosa and bonds, but who cares.

He's getting exactly what he deserves. He should have listened to his Lawyer like Mac did and not lie under oath.

Big difference in lying and not lying under oath.

I am still waiting for proof that he took steroids and that he lied to congress. If all it takes is "we all know he did" to send someone to prison, then God help us all!

there is plenty of proof that he took roids!! The guy is an arrogant [PoorWordUsage] and he should get locked up for wasting our time and lying under oath!!

I am not part of the case and I try not to follow such a loser but there are multiple people stating that he has done them and one of his best friends (Andy Petite) stated that Roger had done them. You may call this hearsay but sorry the guys dealer turned on him with proof. Didn't even Clemens wife admitt it? If you beleive he is innocent more power to ya but then pass the kool-aid this way

That darn congress wasting our time trying to clean up the illegal drugs in sports that are proven to be harmful not only to professional athletes but more importantly to our kids who are starting to use illegal performance enhancing DRUGS in droves and at younger ages.

WOW....get a clue people!

Pier...kids were doing roids back in the 80's and I can't think of a more corrupt time in college sports for them also...that was back when testing was a joke and the general user knowledge about them was "the more the better". Sadly, many of those athletes are no longer with us today....a few of them my friends.

That being said...I agree with your earlier post that his EGO is bigger than the state in which he comes from and that, alone, will put him in jail...rightfully so.

Bonds is next.

I am not part of the case and I try not to follow such a loser but there are multiple people stating that he has done them and one of his best friends (Andy Petite) stated that Roger had done them. You may call this hearsay but sorry the guys dealer turned on him with proof. Didn't even Clemens wife admitt it? If you beleive he is innocent more power to ya but then pass the kool-aid this way

I never said he was guilty or innocent. I stated that you should have proof before sending someone to prison.

Kool-aid? Isn't that what the democrats are trying to force everyone to drink. Ha!

That darn congress wasting our time trying to clean up the illegal drugs in sports that are proven to be harmful not only to professional athletes but more importantly to our kids who are starting to use illegal performance enhancing DRUGS in droves and at younger ages.

WOW....get a clue people!

How is persecuting one guy for purgery going to clean up illegal drugs taken by high school students?

I would much rather someone find the guy that c-r-a-p-p-e-d on the floor of the campground bathroom where I was staying this weekend and persecute him!

That being said...I agree with your earlier post that his EGO is bigger than the state in which he comes from and that, alone, will put him in jail...rightfully so.

If having a big Ego can land you in jail I'm afraid not many here would still be posting unless they allow internet access at Stillwater prison!

I disagree.....Clemens Lawyer told Roger to make sure you do not lie to congress or you may be charged with multiple felony's including Perjury!. Unfortunately Rogers EGO got in the way of telling the truth and he is being charged accordingly.

Hopefully he gets the max in terms of prison time "6 months" and fines for lying to congress about the performance enhancing drugs we all know he used.

Why on earth did congress have anything to do with it in the first place? If there was a crime being commited, don't we have police and a judicial system to sort that out? Why would congress have a role in professional sports?

Why on earth did congress have anything to do with it in the first place? If there was a crime being commited, don't we have police and a judicial system to sort that out? Why would congress have a role in professional sports?

I can't understand why Congress jumped in on it either....

But the fact of the matter is that they did get involved and if Clemens lied under oath to congress he should have to face the same punishment that a chief of staff to the vice president or anyone else that commits perjury faces.

Eyewitness testimony isn't hearsay and I don't see this working out to well for Clemens. He should man up, take some accountability for his actions, and take the plea, lest have an example made of him.

bobbymalone, I agree 100%! They shouldnt been in it in the first place, but to lie under oath, is the punishment. I think if he would have told the truth in the first place, there wouldnt have been any punishment.

Him and Bonds can share a cell!

Of course congress should be involved in this after warning MLB to clean up there DRUGGED invested business that millions upon millions of kids/fans follow.

MLB did absolutely nothing to detour the use of illegal drugs other than a slap on the wrist.

They were warned and given ample time to comply they failed and congress took over rightfully so.

This is one of best things congress has ever done and the results show.

Of course congress should be involved in this after warning MLB to clean up there DRUGGED invested business that millions upon millions of kids/fans follow.

MLB did absolutely nothing to detour the use of illegal drugs other than a slap on the wrist.

They were warned and given ample time to comply they failed and congress took over rightfully so.

We should have them get a salary cap now in MLB!

They are "making an example" of him. I agree with Pier, (wow, twice in one year) and this will hopefully deturr any future steroid use. I applaud congress. BTW, this is THEIR JOB. This is what we elect them to do.

Cigarettes, alchohol, greasy food and driving too fast cause MANY MANY more deaths a year than steroid usage.

If my local bar allows someone to smoke in the bar even though there is a smoking ban should congress get involved? If an athlete drinks too much beer should congress get involved?

I thought congress's job was to MAKE laws not enforce them?

My buddies and were talking about this on the drive up north this past weekend. Clemens seems like a pretty big jerk and I'm not shedding any tears for him over this matter which he brought upon himself.

With that said, it sure seems like our legislators have much bigger fish to fry than if Roger Clemens took steriods to improve and lengthen his baseball career.

Lying under oath is bad and I'm sure they have to prosecute him. But I have a feeling there will be some grandstanding by our fearless leaders on this one.

I think congress got involved because like Pier said they warned MLB to clean up and they didn't. Congress needed to clean it up as MLB is a big commodity for the USA and many people are employed because of MLB and if MLB goes under then it causes another big strain on the country. If baseball wasn't such a big business I don't think congress would have stepped in.

Since MLB has an anti-trust exemption, perhaps that is one of the reason congress stepped in?

I don't remember for sure, but did not Rafael Palmero also lie about steroid use?

Congress is involved because of

A) MLB's antitrust exemption (which I expect to disappear within a decade, largely as a consequence on Selig's incompetence as commissioner)

B) The fact that MLB is a multi-billion dollar interstate industry, and the feds have the right to keep an eye on interstate commerce, especially if illegal activity is involved

The dude was warned not to lie.

Bad deal whatver the verdict is. Sad if he is sentenced and sad if its not true and he had to go through it all.