• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ways to climb a tree/what kills a tree?

NaturesRespect

I found this

Its called the sport climber and its pretty much a strap for boots with a spike to climb trees like loggers do. People are saying this will kill trees because you are spiking trees and damageing the tree when climbing them. Well dont screw in steps damage trees more because it is being screwed in deeper into the tree and makes a bigger hole than the SportClimbers?

Does these 2 ways actually damage and kill trees? Climbing treestands will sometimes dig into trees and bark the same can be said about hang on stands and climbing sticks. There is a hang on stand someone bolted to a tree from about 5 years ago and I have been up there before and it looks like the tree is still growing since it has started to grow pass the stand metal and hardware.

You have brought up some great topics for discussion. To know why it matters you need to understand a small amount of biology.

There are only a few parts of a tree that are alive. The leaves, the buds, the cambium layer and the roots. The one we are most concerned about is the cambium layer. This is the outermost layer of the tree trunk, but still beneath the bark. Its only maybe 1/8" or less thick but it is what carries all the trees nutrients up and down from the leaves to the roots and vice versa. Think of it as the arteries and veins of a tree. Bark is like your skin.

If the bark of a tree gets penetrated to the cambium, it damages the circulation of the tree, it allows insects or disease a way to get in and it creates a wound that must heal. The main wood within the trunk of a tree is dead and only provides strength. So, yes tree steps do harm a tree, but boring a hole deep into the tree isn't any worse for the tree than boring in only 1/2", the damage is already done.

Technically, any tree stand, any steps or climbing spikes that penetrates the bark will cause damage to the tree. Many places that can control access have outlawed climbing steps because the wounds are still visible in the tree long after the hunter has left. That's why climbing sticks that strap onto the tree have become more popular, also because they are easier to use and more versatile.

Another thing you hinted on is if a tree is "growing" around the metal. Although I would say this is a good sign since the tree is trying to heal itself, you are putting your trust in the wrong things. Bolts are made of metal and unless that is stainless, it will rust and break. Secondly, just like people, our scars will cover a wound, but it is not the same and on a tree this is weaker wood. The number one cause of tree stand falls is not from people with commercially made stands, its people who trust homemade stands that are left in the woods year round and subject to weather. They trust them more because they think lumber and steel is better and if its still standing after X number of years it must be sturdy.

This was not meant to be a lecture, but I can't answer with anything less than I've written. All I will say is loggers use spikes because they are going to kill the tree anyway. Anyone who does actual tree climbing doesn't use spikes on live trees because of the damage they cause. Also, they are really uncomfortable and dangerous until you get good with them. I have real climbing spikes and I rarely use them, even for real tree work. These are not easy to use or comfortable. You take far more steps on a tree when you use spikes creating more wounds then if you were to use a dozen tree steps. Also you are using a climbing belt to support you. This is NOT easy. I would take a climbing stand any day. You might peel a little bark, but you won't punch tons of holes.

As far as causing damage to trees, anything you can do to minimize the damage will ensure that your favorite tree is there for years to come. Every time you dig past the bark is like giving it a cut. It might not kill it, but if you do it enough.......

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I have treea that I have had steps in and move them every 3 years or so and they seam really healthy. some have been hunted out of for 30 years.

I guess I should also add that some trees are more susceptible than others. For example a sugar maple can get tapped every year for 50 years and be fine. If you were to poke a few holes in an elm or maybe a red oak, you could expose them to oak wilt or dutch elm disease.

I use my lone wolf climber on trees all the time, it doesn't hurt any trees except poplar as all the others have tough bark. Even on poplars you don't see much of a scratch.

I dunno, but I tap alot of maples.

Pretty soft on the outside and yummy on the inside.

And oaks have been limbed for shooting lanes plus tree steps get good anchors on them for steps.

I run a small tree service and we NEVER use climbing spikes on a tree we are trimming, just the ones coming down. And yes, they do take some training and practice. In the woods, where the trees aren't as valued as in a yard, I've nailed on climbing steps and stand supports. A nail-sized wound isn't nearly as bad as a cut off branch or slice in the bark. As for what I've run into that has been done to urban trees that have kept growing, it would curl your hair. Chain, wire, concrete,spikes, re-rod, pop bottles, etc. I've ruined more than a few chainsaw chains.

As for what I've run into that has been done to urban trees that have kept growing, it would curl your hair. Chain, wire, concrete,spikes, re-rod, pop bottles, etc. I've ruined more than a few chainsaw chains.

same here.

The thing is,

poking holes with tree steps, you're not poking holes and immediatly removing the step and exposing the hole. The step is kept in place for awhile. That allows the wound to heal and become encapsulated before removing the steps 99% of the time.

Bug/insect infestation is a different story.

another thing with the spikes.... every time you go up the tree your putting in a whole new series of holes.

Personally I stick with climbers, strap on steps or ladder stands.