• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

trailer wheel bearing ?

Lund79

Question

First off, I bought a wheel bearing replacment kit and installed with the help from an earlier post. Thank you! I would not have attempted this without the help.

I have 2 questions:

1. Is it necessary to replace the races every time you repack the bearings? The reason I ask is it was a pain in the buttocks to get these seated properly.

2. For the guys that mention they have a spare set of bearings in a container if things go bad on the road, is this all you're replacing or do you tools to do the whole job with races, etc.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

9 answers to this question

i would replace the races, thing you can do it when you get the old one out, grind the edge surface off so it will slide into the hub. now you have something to seat the new race with. other thing is if you can find a socket that is same diameter as the race then you can also seat it with that. The other way if you are close to a freezer is to put the races in the freezer for an hour or so. They will shrink up enough where you can drive them in pretty easy.

As for the back up bearings, i would keep them for only a back up, if you needed to do a road replace i would remove old bearings and put in back up bearings. Then when you get home, replace with complete new set.

Quote:
Is it necessary to replace the races every time you repack the bearings

No! If you are doing an inspection and repack there is no reason to replace them unless they are pitted or worn. It would be a waste to put in new races if they are ok, and if they are not ok then the bearing is worn too. If they are bad they should be replaced as a set with bearings.

sorry misread the question. however if you are replacing the bearings, then do the races. Just repacking as noted above, clean, check for pits, cracks, and any sign that there was high temp such as discoloration. If non are found and the bearings are ok, again no pits or loose cages, then repack bearings pack hubs and put back together. good luck

Thanks for the responses.

When I took my races out, I could see 1 side was wearing on the race (discolored) so I thought I would do both for safe measures. If things look good, I will repack bearings only, and replace rear seal. Thanks!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

As said, if a bearing is pitted then the race will be pitted and both will be replaced.

Otherwise soak the bearings clean and dry, clean the hub and and dry then repack. Replace the seals every time you remove the inner bearings.

Its not a bad idea to have a spare hub with bearings greased and ready to go packed away in the tow vehicle.

Otherwise soak the bearings clean and dry, clean the hub and and dry then repack.

A quick safety note - don't dry them with the air compressor and spin the bearings around with air. They could fail and come off like shot.