• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Moultrie D 40

student

If you could buy a new Moultrie D40 for about $40, would you? Are they an ok trail cam? I really don't want to spend a lot of money and I can get two at this price. What are your thoughts?

I have 3 of them and no complaints. The trigger speed is a little slow, so you either have to point it down the trail or put out a mineral lick to get the deer to stop in front of the camera. I have had mine for 3 years.

Did you do anything to yours like adding a 9v battery hookup? Or does the 6D batteries provide sufficient battery life? How long do your batteries last under normal operating conditions, not 20 below zero weather?

Battery life is great, the trigger speed is slow and the quality isn't that great but its still a decent cam. I have left my cam out for a couple of months and gotten thousands of photos off the original battery. Too bad most of them were of nothing because i was pointed at the sun.

I have one had it now two years my longest running trail camera! Only wish it was an IR instead of a flash. I get better pictures on low quality because it don't blur/slow down the camera compared to High quality. Battery life depending on night photo's are 2 months. Easy to set up especially if it still has the lazer aim.

Good tip Code-Man, my quality was good but not great so I went to high quality and everything got worse.

Like code-man said, I get about 2 months on a set of batteries. I have not hooked mine up to a external battery yet, keep thinking about doing it. I think these cameras are 12 volt also. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Same story here. My batteries last about one month. I was going to add an external setup, but for only $10-20 more I could buy a brand new WGI IR40. Sounds like those have 3+ month battery life.

I bought one of those and still have the d40.

I have 3 of them and no complaints. The trigger speed is a little slow, so you either have to point it down the trail or put out a mineral lick to get the deer to stop in front of the camera. I have had mine for 3 years.