• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How often should I be taking out puppy at night?

deerminator

We have an 8 week old puppy and I'm making sure to get him out at least every 3 hours during the day (most of the time he's outside anyway), but confused about what do do at night. He's been whining an howling some the first few nights in his crate, but sometimes its to go outside and others just because he wants to be held or play. I'm figuring once a night isn't bad, midway though, especially if I take him out for awhile just before bed and don't let him eat or drink for several hours beforehand. Any advice is appreciated as this is our first pup this young.

Sounds about right to me! When i first got my pup I made sure to let him out before i went to bed then usually got up about 1 and let him out and didn't let him drink anything and then i would usually get up about 6 and he would go out then for the morning pee and dump!! He NEVER had an accident in his crate!

BUT, i would also make sure to listen for him at night as well cause you never know with a pup!

Thanks. I did talk to the vet this morning as a follow-up to his Friday exam. She said, take him out before bed as long as its later, like 10-11, and then just let him sleep unless he wakes up and whines. She has a 9 week old that sleeps right through the night.

I had to chuckle. We have had two puppies, thought it was hassle to get up with them at night for about a month before they would sleep though the night. Went through same thing you guys are talking about. We were relieved once the pups were set...

... Then we had a baby! crazylaughgrin

Okay... Your pup should be able to hold his pee for 3 hours max. Lets say you go to sleep at 12am, take him out at 12am, set a timer/alarm at 2am, take him out. Set timer at 5am, take him out. Your pup should be fed 3x a day so, feed him at 6am and take him out right after hes done eating. Wait 2 hours max, take him out 8am, 11am, feed 12pm/take him out, take him out 2pm, 4pm, feed 6pm/take him out, etc.

Your routine should look like this:

12am-potty break

2am-potty

5am-potty

6am-feed/potty

8am-potty

11am-potty

12pm-feed/potty

2pm-potty

5pm-potty

6pm-feed/potty/STOP GIVING HIM ACCESS TO WATER now?

7pm-STOP GIVING HIM ACCESS TO WATER or here

8pm-potty

12am-start over

Start adding one more hour when you see your pup catching up with your routine. You should start introducing command before he pee and [PoorWordUsage]; go potty for pee, finish it for [PoorWordUsage].

Hang a bell at the door and before he goes out rang it. Your pup should go on the dame spot or else you'll have yellow lawn wink

Good luck, I got my pup when he was 8 weeks too, should have wait til hes 12 weeks tho, haha.