• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Minnesota River riverbottom

1eyeReD

Hello,

I just picked me up permission for a spot on the MN River in Sibley county, but have no clue on how to hunt it. Neighboring properties have corn plots and the area where I'm allowed to go is mainly brush, CRPish and then the riverbottom area with lots of cottonwoods and the typical Minnesota River riparian stuff. And then if you look across the fields from the trees, the opposite end will be bluffs and woods (I'm hoping that's not where ALL the deer are).

I scouted it a few weeks ago and found a pretty heavily used deer trail going along the edge of the trees bordering the CRP fields. On the other side of the woods which borders the river, there isn't much activity. And not much within the woods either. But further up I found this really thick tall brushy stuff that surrounds some beaver ponds close to the riverbanks. There is a trail leading into that stuff but it didn't seem like there were as many fresh tracks on these trails compared to the trail on the field edge between the fields and the trees. When I skirted that stuff, however... The trails merged into one trail that led to the corn field. And when I walked along the edge of the thick brush, there was a strong white tail smell. The brushy stuff is closer to the corn on the bordering property - and those trails coming out of the brush lead directly to the corn.

My question is: Would you guys think it is a better choice to set up along the heavily used trail that runs along the trees next to the fields or intercept one of the less used trails going from the brush to corn? I'm hoping a few deer would bed in that stuff, but ya never know. BTW - Most tracks I found were pretty big which keeps me hopeful. All the landowner said was there are deer down there, but he hasn't had the chance to go out and see for himself if there were any bigger bucks.

I MS Painted what the property looks like to best of my knowledge...

102t92x.png

Any input from you pros out there would be much appreciated. This question's focus would be the month of September and early October. Depending on how that goes, I may hunt elsewhere.

I'd be on the trail going to and from the corn, closer to the corn.But I would have 3-4 different spots picked out where I had fairly clear shooting and could play the WIND>> in my favor.

It really depends what your after. If your looking to shoot does I would set up along the main trail probably about 200yds from the corn. If your looking for antlers then I would find the trail that leads out of the thick brushy stuff and set up there. It will not apear as heavily used as the trail out of the corn but it is there somwhere. Also keep in mind you need a good way in and out if you are setting up near the brush set up at first as more of an observation spot so you can see what going on. I personally wouldnt be afraid to stay back as far as I could being extremely carefull not to alert anything to your presence patients is key generally speaking the bucks will bed away from others and are also the last deer to enter a field or even get out of bed. Try and scout with binos look for old rubs near the brushy areas this would be a staging area. I cannot stress enough to be vary cautious with your sent stay back untill you have them figured out and then move in a little closer. Good luck and have fun

Thank you very much guys. I truly appreciate the tips. Never thought about looking for rubs and I can honestly say I was oblivious to what a "staging area" is til now.. I'll look those up. This is a lottery area so I am obligated to a buck as only 1 tag can be used. So antlers it is unless it's the last day of the season and I'm still deer-less.

Well, I went to scout again today... And boy, I picked a bad day. Got eaten alive by the mosquitos and it was hot & muggy.. Clouds and clouds of mosquitos! I brought my bow and 3 arrows with a shooting block to practice from my self climber. Lost an arrow on my way back to the car.It probably fell out of the quiver. Good thing was I saw deer LOL! Bumped a big doe and when I was going back to the car, I saw also saw a fawn that just stood in the middle of the trail until I got within 15 yards then she booked. Hopefully they don't vacate that area entirely. The landowner drives his 4-wheeler around quite a bit so hopefully they are used to humans.

I'll let you guys know of newer findings as fall and my learning progresses.

My worst mosquito experience to date. And that scentless DEET-less spray is [PoorWordUsage]!