• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

uh oh......missing bear! Now what?

Handsonthepole

Hi guys....I am new to the bear hunting experience so am looking for some advice. We have only one bait site(mostly due to lack of time to bait and distance away) which had been getting hit daily since we established it.....until Friday. It hasn't been touched now for two days. I am heading up Tues to hunt opener. We use cookie dough and trail mix which was getting eaten completely every day....our camera shows at least one bear, possibly two. I am wondering if I should try another attractant or bait on opening day or continue as we have as they seem to like what has been put out?....and if they don't come back by then is it worth moving the site all together? It's hard to have patience this far into the game!Any info would be appreciated.

I would do a burn can when you go to hunt, throw alot of fryer grease around for long distance scent. Also set up couple more baits 1/4 mile apart from where you are. Alot of different food out there right now for them to eat so try putting different foods at each bait. Don't over feed them, keeps them coming back that way. Good hot grease thrown around when hunting really draws them in.

Welcome Scaup3, You probably lost them to another bait or acorns. Keep at it and they will probably return. Can't say by opener though. What general area do you hunt?

bogwalker....we hunt the Kelliher area. My friend who is baiting for us says there are not many oaks around which may be a bad thing as the bear could travel a little further for acorns? Someone mentioned doing a burn...what is that?

A burn means putting something in a can (honey, bacon or whatever) and putting a heat source under the can. The smoke created when it "burns" billows upward in the wind and surrounding foliage making an odor that draws bears in to your bait site.

Acorns are a problem for bear hunters unless you hunt where they are falling. Black Bears have been known to travel many miles to feed on them. A word of caution, when you read posts on this forum it soon becomes clear that bear hunters are a bit... different. Once you experience bear hunting you may become different too. It gets in your blood and by this time of year it can consume you. Lots of great hunters on here who really know their stuff. All are happy to share their experience and knowledge.

It's great to see a bear in the woods that you can watch for long periods of time. Does get in your blood.

Scaup, nice to have ya aboard. Just because you loose them for a day or two dont mean they wont come back. A few factors are, acrons are droping as mention, heat is huge factor, bear dont like to move in the heat an I dont like to bait in it. I just got my bear back on my bait after a two day dissapearing act. My view is that the bear know where your site is, natural forage will always take a bear away, but when its gone, he'll be back, but you gota be open for bussiness. I keep my site fresh when they go houdini on me. Looseing them to another site is another story an others on here have better ideas than I cause I hunt an area with not near as much pressure. so I dont have competting sites. Just keep up the good work an it'll pay off, if not with a bear, then with an education an thats worth it also. Good luck Boar

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help. Now that I am a little more educated I am much more hopeful that we will be successful this week. Good luck to all!

i always keep the site as fresh as i can when they disappear,and it seems like it always happens but like boar said they know where the site is and will be back,there is just a lot of natural food out there right now and they will hit that first.i use a lot of liquid smoke and use a full quart sprayed under the leaves in about a 20 ft dia of the pit every time i am there.

Kelliher sees a lot of pressure, and there are acorns within traveling distance. Also a lot of boggy areas not far. Blackberries are in their prime right now too... almost as bad as acorns, since they last an ever shorter period of time. I'd say the above posts are right, you lost it to another hunter or natural food. Keep at it... we've got a lot of season in front of us!

My pit that had the camera stolen wasn't hit for three days and they were back in it last night. Patience I guess.

Patience is a necessity for a consistently successful bear hunter. Being a little crazy doesn't hurt either.

going on three days now with out a hit.....maybe try a burn on opener if nothing tomorow? was thinking of putting some honey and bacon in a coffee can with sterno or charcoal underneath? anyone have a better technique? Scaup

Sterno with a coffee can. Put a grid of wires on top and maybe do a bacon burn. There are many things you can do burns with. I did a marshmallow and syrup once and the aroma was unreal but nothing came in. Always try burns in your garage before doing it in the field. You can do grease burns, jello, and honey among others.