• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What is deer lease worth by LOW

UGUIDE

I was just curious if any of you would know what a deer hunting lease would go for on 160 acres of wooded land just south of Arnesons area (Rocky Point - Roosevelt)? My wife owns 160 acres there and we have no idea what a lease if worth. I'm thinking at least the taxes on it. The lease would include all hunting rights (grouse, bow, gun)

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Lease for taxes seems to be quite common up here. Do you already have someone to lease?

I believe it is leased for 2010 but the guys in there are not paying her Dad enough to make taxes and so we might take over leasing it out and would start 2011 but no I do not have anyone. If interested please PM me.

Thanks for the responses guys.

We pay roughly $1,000 for 80 acres near Walker, it basically covers Potlatchs' taxes.

Other thing to consider is what rights they may have to the land, as far as putting up stands (also type, perm, ladders, hangers), making food pots, clearing/maintaining trails etc. The more you allow the lesee to do, the more attractive it would be to lease.....

We pay roughly $1,000 for 80 acres near Walker, it basically covers Potlatchs' taxes.

Other thing to consider is what rights they may have to the land, as far as putting up stands (also type, perm, ladders, hangers), making food pots, clearing/maintaining trails etc. The more you allow the lesee to do, the more attractive it would be to lease.....

That seems pretty steep @ $12.50 an acre for only hunting rights. Is that the going rate in Minnesota? I could have sworn that I had seen average rates were half of that for states like Kansas, Iowa, etc.

that is true but for the most part those are very large tracts of land. There is economy to scale.

Yeah, I assumed (and took into consideration) some economy of scale on a smaller parcel, but $12.50 an acre still seemed higher than I would have expected based on my assumptions and limited knowledge/experience with lease prices.

A lot also depends on the type of land it is not just the size. A wooded 40 with game and in the "right spot" may be more $$$ than a 160 acre hayfield. So take that into consideration as well as what is allowed - trails, stands, food plots, etc. I would think you could get enough to at least cover taxes and then maybe more depending on what it offers.

• 7 months later...

Well we just put the lease together and I thought I would update this thread. It will include 600 acres of total land which is 280 wooded and balance in crop land. Rate is $10/acre + insurance or you could look at it as $4.60 acre for total. Some permanent stands are on the property and the lease is private and exclusive for all hunting rights included.

More info here in the classified ad on HSO

http://hsolist.com/search.php?action=ads...d&B1=Search

Well we just put the lease together and I thought I would update this thread. It will include 600 acres of total land which is 280 wooded and balance in crop land. Rate is $10/acre + insurance or you could look at it as $4.60 acre for total. Some permanent stands are on the property and the lease is private and exclusive for all hunting rights included.

More info here in the classified ad on HSO

http://hsolist.com/search.php?action=ads...d&B1=Search

I should also mention that we would be willing to lease just 160 wooded acres.