• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tips for finding spots

I haven't been waterfowl hunting since I was a kid and I decided I'm going to start up this fall. I've been gearing up and I have a ton of questions, but the most significant concern I have is finding a place. I mean, I know what the popular waterfowl spots are in my area...but that's the problem, they're popular. I'm sure those spots are pretty well stocked with hunters and I don't think I know enough about waterfowl hunting to readjust if I got to the "Plan A" spots and they were already occupied.

So, I've been looking for areas that seem less traveled and there are a lot of options around me. I'd prefer these small areas anyway because I have a small arsenal of decoys and a small jonboat. The problem is, a lot of these areas don't look any better than the next and I'm not going to see any ducks around if I scout now. Additionally, if you scout some little pothole and find it taken on your morning, you really have no option but to leave.

I guess I'm just looking for some tips from experienced hunters on finding and judging potential spots for ducks, especially on smaller water. I'm also interested in early season geese, but I don't think there are a lot of decent fields here in Itasca County that aren't already being hunted. Thanks.

Well you have defiantly got a good idea of mn waterfowling with knowing or expecting any public hunting spot to have competition. From my experience I can tell you that after opener the birds are forced to move and relocate witch can sometimes produce some good opportunity. Other than that late season is the time to get out, being that there is significantly less people out hunting.

There are people on here with a lot more experience then me but I think sixteen years is good enough to comment.

I think the first year is going to be a work in progress. You wont know if these out of the way spots are frequently hunted until the season starts. For now I would try to find a larger roost of birds and see where they are traveling to. Put on some miles and glass a lot of these small lakes. If you have the time it could be a good idea to drive around to these spots during youth season, if there are hunters there then, you can almost bet they will be there later. Smaller spots could be transitional spots, in which case you may not know the amount of birds until the shooting starts. These spots can be very hit or miss.

If you find a few spots you really like, sometimes it worth it to get out earlier then everyone else

Thanks for the advice, guys. I grabbed a PRIM map and I'm highlighting what look like lesser-known areas with potential. Then, I'm looking at aerial photos online to see if the cover looks good or if the rivers look navigable. Once I eliminate some of my highlighted spots, I'll probably go out with my boy and scout some by car, foot, or boat.