• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anchor For Rocky Bottom

Joe's Kid

Question

I've lost a couple types of anchor to rocky lake bottoms.

I've been thinking about the Richter, and of course the price is a big factor. They aren't cheap.

Anyone have one? Any other type that works well in the rocks?

Thanks

Mike

16 answers to this question

Just sprung for one at the spring sport show....it works great and get the chain with it and it will never break off.

I have a Richctor and its great. I also have 6' of coated chain and its a great rocky bottom anchor. If it wont come up just drive over it and it will pop out.

A Digger anchor will do you well, in all bottoms, and it is 99.9% retrievable....there is always that 1% when ... well anything can get stuck hopelessly.

But so far, for me, they always hold well, and I have yet to loose one.

Until this year I have never had any problems with my richtor anchor. Great anchors! I did lose one on Vermilion this year. Worked on freeing it for over 45 minutes. Had to give it up though. Guess that's the way it goes sometimes. I got another though, so I'd still recommend it!

Another bit of advise I'll share, is never put an old rope on a new anchor. And use quality rope. wink

60' to 100' of 3/8 double braid solid core rope is half the price or less of a new quality performance anchor like a Digger or a Rictor...so don't skimp on a critical component to the system, or you may just loose it all.

Rigging Tip: A trick I use to prevent cut off's of rope in environments with sharp granite for instance, is to add a 2' to 3' section of clear hose just above the anchor on the anchor line. This is the tubing commonly used in agriculture applications and is readily available at most hardware stores.

What this will accomplish is when the sharp rocks rub against the tubing it will roll like a bearing on the rope and eliminate the most common wear seen on anchor lines at the most common cut off point. This is where an anchor is most frequently lost. This cheap clear flexible tubing is valuable insurance, and will go a long ways to protect a valuable anchor in hostile environments. It will take the wear, and can easily be replaced as needed. The tubing can also act as a ding guard when raising the anchor too, the tubing will hit the side of the boat first, and this will help lessen then careless anchor scuffs and chips we all hate to see.

not sure what rictor cost

i have a water spike seems to work good

sometimes you hafta drop it a couple times to get it to hook but once it does it holds good and i have a 20ft glass boat and it holds on winnie in a 20 mph wind

it kinda of a trick to make sure it goes down the right way

I have used a richtor for years with pretty good luck. I now have a Digger also and have had great luck with that also.

Ed has some great tips to save ones rope. For my new Digger, I paid $135.00 for 80' of good rope and glad I spent the money. I use to purchase the cheapest rope I could find and the rocks would cut it all to pieces.

I have a Richter anchor. It is OK. IMO, not the greatest thing since sliced bread as the company's advertisements may suggest. You can go through a lot of cheap anchors for the price of one Richter. You may or may not lose either one. Granted you chances of retrieving a Richter are supposedly greater. If you happen to lose a $12 anchor, you're out $12. If you happen to lose a Richter anchor, you're out $60+.

problem is with a 12$ anchor

you not going to hold in big winds !!!!!!!!

witch if you like to CATCH fish rather than just going fishing

is a good time to anchor on the rocks

last time i did i had a limit and probably caught some 25-30 walleyes

in bout 3 hrs

i was in bout 15-20mph wind comin from the south on the north end of winnie

no 12$ anchor would have kept me there

problem is with a 12$ anchor

you not going to hold in big winds !!!!!!!! ...

Yeah, you may be right. It may depend on the context/conditions it will be used in. If a person needs something to hold them in big winds, it might require throwing down the coin for a more expensive anchor.

That is interesting that you anchor in that type of wind. I typically haven't fought that type of wind by anchoring. IF I have stayed out in similar conditions (usually anything over 15 mph on water that size I don't even bother with it) I typically drift with a "sock" and have had success picking up walleyes. Anchoring maybe something I will have to try some time... good thing I bought a Richter laughgrinwink

Yes, I agree with you, Ed. Rope is as important as the anchor.

I always use good quality rope and replace it or at least cut the worn ends off often.

I like the idea of the tubing. It makes a lot of sense.

The anchors I've lost were not due to the rope being cut.

They were just stuck and I cut them loose, but I'll definitely be putting some "insurance" on my anchors now. Thanks for the tip!

I did have a length of chain connected between the anchor and the rope on one and I wonder if it was the chain that slipped down between the rocks and got stuck.

If that was the case, I'll bet having tubing over it could have prevented that.

Gregg52, you're right. It can be tricky to get an anchor to set.

It isn't always as easy as just dumping it over the side and tying it off.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Mike

the water spike is also light

and folds up kinda easy to store

and always seems to pop out fairly easy

i use good rope...never used chain

i also have a plow disc bout 10 inch one with a stainless steel shaft

(bout a ft long)

that also will hold but its heavy i use it if i dont want the boat to swing

i'm not much on that wind sock and drifting to much wasted time not on the fish for me...i do it once inawhile in the spring when fish seem

scattered

the time above i was talking bout i was casting a jig i dont think i made more than 5 cast without catching one

its also a good way to bobber fish of coarse

my rope is bout 150ft long so i can move around even when i'm anchored

moveing it from side to side and letting more rope out

pretty good way to smack walleyes on windy days

I lost a few river and Navy Anchors over the years. In every case the got wedged into rocks and could be dislodged.

Digger for me as well. I have it hooked to 150 ft. of good 3/8" rope which might seem like alot but Fishing in clear water lakes it's not unusual for me to anchor in 30+ feet of water. The extra rope allows me to set up on the upwind side of structure and vary my depth on the way up.

Anchors are definitely another tool in the arsenal and are my goto when the wind comes up if it's a little to rough for a back troll.

Do you have a marker or buoy on the anchor rope for visibility? I worry that someone would troll past on the upwind side and snag the rope.

Do you have a marker or buoy on the anchor rope for visibility? I worry that someone would troll past on the upwind side and snag the rope.

I have a bright orange anchor rope, that doesn't even prevent the stupid.