• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Neon Duck/goose calls

So ducks and geese have great eyes. I've been told they can see the whites of your eyes, so they say never look at them when their coming in. People spend hunderds of dollars on camo break-up clothing and some swear by using face paints and conceling everything in weeds around them. So, to my supprise, I went to go buy a duck call and almost all had bright neon colors or a reflective bright metal wrapped around them. Often by the same companies that tell you to buy there camo for total concelment. What gives? And it seams the expensive calls were the worste yeat! Kind of like buy a camo hat with a colored logo of some company right in front. Just doen't make sense to me! I know people buy for competeion but the markets got to be way larger for hunters.

dont belive everything you hear. I've accidently left a orange hat on from trapping then went duck hunting and actually have had ducks come in! imo it's more on your movement than anything

I don't think its any secret how commercialized hunting has become in the last 5 years. The neon colors are part of marketing and standing out not to mention the fact that a lot of the higher end calls are marketed towards contest callers or wannabe contest callers, not that they aren't good hunting calls.

Also, the neon calls stand out better in the hero pics that have to be posted online...(meant jokingly of course) wink

if a duck or goose busts you for the color of your call i hope your gun was empty because that bird should have been dead 15 yards ago... cool

If you put that neon call on top of your hat that duck will most likely see it so when it is on a lanyard and you are looking down or tring to stay consealed the duck wont see and as CSD stated should of been dead already.. grin

movement to me is the biggest problem of all when it comes to ducks flareing and if your after mallards well thats just the way they are I've watched Mallards circle a spot where there was no hunters 5-6 times and still not land in that spot. mallards at times are very very wary.

When you lose your $180 goose call in a field you'll be happy you got a bright neon one, i used to think that bright colors were a horrible idea but after that all my calls are at least half a bright color