• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

bow prices-markup

laker1

just wondering how much markup on bows like Mathews? Do they have much room to lower the price? Do the manufactors have guidelines on what price you will sale it at, and you will stick with that price?

I believe the markup is pretty high but all or most of the companies have guidelines for the dealers so there is little to no wiggle room. Used bows on the other hand are wide open, if you want new you need to pony up the $$.

you never see the deals till they are old enough to drop the prices, the only thing i have see guys do is get 20% off a sight or rest or something like that instead of a drop in price on the bow

Yeah, there is some markup, but there is markup in every good you buy. That is how these places make money. When you think about it, the sale of a bow is the biggest ticket item many of these pro-shops have, and therefore they need and rely on these sales (and that profit) so there won't be much motivation to drop their price. They may make some money here and there, but most of the shops need every penny they can get out of their sales just to keep the doors open and be able to provide the customers with service. I wouldn't expect a shop to "deal" with someone on the price of a bow unless its out of season, and usually then the shop lowers the price on its own.

I guess I'd pay the asking price of the bow and consider the professional help and information as a free lesson. Having a good bow shop can be invaluable when it comes to getting your equipment to work its best.

Just remember Matthews is not the only bow-even though the spend $$$$$$ on celebs and advertising. I have shot a few and hated them-everyone is different. Before you decide go shoot everyone you can from ALL manufatures. Shop in St.Cloud offers Lifetime warr on new bows-good guys also.

Taking, for example, a new Mathews bow at around $800. Cost is probably around $500 or a little more. So you can probably figure a markup of around $250-$300.

They have to have a good mark up on the bows as archers do not purchase a new bow every year. Otherwise, no profit and no shop.

Myself, I love the Mathews bow line and have been shooting them for 20 years. Many bows to choose from and I would try out a few to see what you like and what fits you the best.

A good pro shop that can help you is better than a shop that cannot help you and has a better price.

A good acquaintance of mine owns an archery shop. He says they don't make much on the bows, bows have a relatively slim margin. It's the accessories where they make the money. Because there is lots of competition I tend to think that mark ups on bows are in line. If you think they are excessively high, they you should invest in a company that makes bows. Something I read indicated the archery market is oversaturated, again leading me to believe mark ups are not excessive. As a manufacturing engineer, I am well aware of the substantial cost increases that occurred in recent years in materials like aluminum and aluminum forgings, and, of course, raw materials and resins used to manufacture things like carbon fibre arms and bowstrings. Long and short, I'm afraind you'll either have to pony up or buy quailty used. You won't find many discounted deals this time of year.

I know my Drenaline was supposed to be around that 600 mark but I got it for less then 450 after the season. I believe there is a good mark up otherwise they wouldn't be selling so many kinds.

Taking, for example, a new Mathews bow at around $800. Cost is probably around $500 or a little more. So you can probably figure a markup of around $250-$300.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish!

Good to know, I must have read some mis-information way back when. Those bow companies must need all the big $$$ to keep selling us new and higher priced bows each year.

Good to know, I must have read some mis-information way back when. Those bow companies must need all the big $$$ to keep selling us new and higher priced bows each year.
They need the big money to cover the expense of liability insurance.