• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone having any luck with the inland lakes? bringing some newbies out and would like to get them on some fish.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I was hit a couple streamer lakes on the Trail last weekend during my moose scouting trip.

Fishing was tough but found Splake in 16-20' of water. This particular lake was 27' deep and you could see a layer of dead water at 24' down.

the gunflint area is always great just for the scenary alone. also the finland area around isabela there are a ton of good lakes including off shore fishing. i'm not sure what your looking for as far as fish, but i would be happy to help you with that. i do not have current conditions unfortunatly. good luck.

here are the lakes that i know best for walleys in the isabella area. delay lake off forest rd 172. small lake around 100 acres walley and smallies. no shore fishing with an access off the side of the road with a small boat or canoe. this one is a sleeper. harriet lake-rustic campsite with good walley and crappies and had public access. wilson lake-rustic campground and puplic access,good walley lake fishing is good am and towards pm [clear water]. windy lake- gravel access with excelent walley. all day action possible with bog stained water. whitefish-canoe access excelent walley lake. silver island- has campground with excelent walley fishing[watch for rocks]. i just picked these because i have fished them and had good luck. just like anything depends on the weather also. on gunflint i would go to devils track lake and spend my time there. good landing and a great resort to boot in devils track lodge. hope that helps you. dont know if you have a boat or not. good luck.

I have a boat, we will go swing by devils, I will let you know how it goes. We are also going to try Caribou and Greenwood. Any thoughts on those?

No walleyes in greenwood, but it's a nice scenic lake with lot's of lake trout and oodles upon oodles of small bass. I would skip caribou and go to two island instead. Lot's of rock structure with alot of eater size walleyes. Keep an eye on your depthfinder though, lot's of spots to ruin your lower unit on.

reinhard1,

I am planning a camping trip for the wife and I to whitefish lake, I planned on bringing the 14ft boat and canoe... can a guy get a 14ft boat on the lake? any info would be great.. thanks!

[email protected]

depends how much the two of you can carry. the carry is realy for canoes cause there is a little incline to the lake. i have only taken a canoe because i'm by myself or with my wife. you would have to carry the 14 ft boat. there is no back in landing with a vehicle. the lake has a good population of walleys. an idea i would propose is to camp at whitefish and use the canoe there. and fish windy for a day trip with your 14ft. windy does have a gravel back in access. it also is a good walley lake. some boulders to watch for. whitefish is very clear and windy is bog stained. so i would fish whitefish early in the day and toward evening and windy during the day. dont be afraid to fish shallow say 10ft toward am & pm in whitefish and same depth during the day in windy. good luck.

Fished up there this weekend. Little WIlson and Wye Lake, We ended up catching 5. Thats right 5 in 2 days. It sucked. I tried eveything in my tackle box, and troll ed every part of those lakes. Also talke to cmampers on Wilson Lake, Even with all the fancy Electronics, the most I heard out of 1 boat was 3. Fishing was terrible, weather and scenery was nice. Tons of people up there, every campsite on every lake I was at was full.

Geez, we did pretty good right in your neighborhood. Fishing windy weedlines as shallow as 4', we found walleyes. Tough to stay on them in shallow water with the wind, but they were in schools that would move around - windy side of humps had fish too. Crawlers, white corkie, 2'-3' rigs.

the walley population has always been lower on little wilson. i have no doubt you know what your doing and most of the people up there. like the last poster said shallow is often underused regardless of what time of the year. on wilson we would put our leeches or minnows{this time of the year they should be great along with crawlers] with slip bobbers litteraly a few feet from shore just before sundown on the deeper breaking shorelines. another good spot on low light periods is the shallow area in the center of the lake or next to the humps. sometimes they just dont bite anywhere for a day or so. windy is my go to lake during the day and shallow all year long. a breeze is nice for a chop. i like that bog stained water. there are a few big ones there but lots of eaters. for nice sized smallies and walleys delay lake is good. you need a canoe there or 12ft boat. sometimes when the clear lakes frustrate you go to the bog stained. good luck.

heading up to Greenwood this weekend. Like the previous poster said, tons of small bass. Been fishing that lake for a few years now and 50+days have happened but almost all under 12 inches. Usually will pick up 1 laker a day, which isn't that great but fun when it happens. picked up some jet divers last week, excited to try pulling some spoons this weekend! GL and let us know how the trip goes, i will do the same.

I assume there are drivable roads to whitefish? I was looking at one of those outdoor books and is shows the roads in that area as non-motorized?????