• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

gull and Round lake perch

My buddy and I are coming and staying on Round Lake the end of Sept. He mentioned trying to find some perch some time so thought I would send a message to inquire. I talked with a neighbor to our cabin last year that mentioned some jumbo's coming out through the ice. It has been many, many years ago I actually targeted them on Ottertail and all I remember is wading and floating some kind of bait under a bobber. If we decided to try to catch them what would be the best tactic on Gull or Round. I kinda figure they will be around the rock piles on both lakes but again I've never really spent much time fishing for them.

Thank you for any suggestions!

James

small and smaller !!!!!!! lol

try mille lacs leech or winnie

or try sunfish or crappies

walleyes threw the ice is good early

gregg, what the H@@@ Walleyes threw early ice? The best is yet to come! Two years ago I was fishing soft water well into November.

When fishing gull last year I caught one dink on a redtail that was not much bigger than the bait. Is that what you mean? smile So not worth spending the time? We did use to get some keepers out of winnie too but don't plan to go that far north this trip. Crappies, aye?

Thanks

James

I've caught some nice perch casting small floating minnow raps in shallow weeds on the south end of gull, and I've seen much bigger ones swimming around in the shallows. However, you'll catch about 10 rock bass for every 1 perch.

Thanks for that tip, JB, we might travel down there and see how it looks. We went down there last year and tried some northern, with no luck I might add. frown

We did eat and bring home several rock bass last summer, the kids really enjoyed catching them and they aren't bad table fare and decent fight for kids. A few are fun for me as well but you know how it is, after cleaning a dozen you're ready for a walleye. smile