• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Who hunts bear from the ground?

bogwalker

I use a ground blind in a swampy brush area I hunt because there's no trees in my area of the bait area. I have had bear sniff the blind before I noticed them come from behind. What a thrill, but just to close. Now I put brush around so they don't get so close to blind. Keeping the brush about 4' out from blind also breaks the outline. Don't have much space if your sitting and looking at them and they are wandering around your blind.

I've shot my last 2 out of a lawn chair. I had a large brushpile at my back and the trails were all from one direction. At 15 yards, this is a rush.

I've shot my last 2 out of a lawn chair. I had a large brushpile at my back and the trails were all from one direction. At 15 yards, this is a rush.

Sorry but I have to ask. What were they doing in a lawn chair?

Don't like sitting in a portable stand. I get a real sore back from sitting on a hard surface for mare than an hour, so I painted up a comfy lawn chair, placed my bait just right and found agood spot on the uphill side with a blowdown and brush at my back.

btw, I'm not talking about a recliner in case that's what you are visualizing grin

I think bog is wondering what the bears were doing in the lawn chair- Ha!, just reading a little to close into the wording I think

PEATMOSS, My wife saw a nice recliner at a garage sale for 10 bucks. I really thought about it.

I have not used a chair in the open just sat on the ground. Your set up with a lawn chair sounds like a great idea PEATMOSS. I will have to try that. Thanks

I used to haul in some hay bales and make a ground blind. It was set about 100 yards from the bait site. The bait was placed at the edge of a field. You could sit in a chair and didn't have to worry to much about scent, motion or noise.

Sorry but I have to ask. What were they doing in a lawn chair?

blushWow, this went right over my head yesterday. I think my kids would say I got OWNED! grin

I've laid prone on the ground before when i knew a bear had my stand peg'd, but I fell asleep, so i did'nt do that again.

I think on 1 of my sites that I opened on Friday, if I hunt that 1 I am going to sit with my back up against o cedar tree about 60 yards from the pit. Whennin and iffin it gets hit.

I have never hunted bear from that range. The furthest we sit from our baits is about 15 yards. We hunt in pretty thick stuff so we don't often see a bear until it enters the site. I hope your bait gets nailed. Good luck!