• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Warm water smallies

bigstick56

Hey guys i was just wonering some of your thoughts on warm water small mouth bass tactics. I am on a small private lake near longville that is absolutly loaded with monster smallies. ( know this from catching a pile of them earlier in the year and seeing them from snorkling and scuba diving the lake) The lake is extremly clear, the DNR survey showed the sketchy or whatever its called to be seen at 28 feet. I am just curious on some tactics you guys would use on a lake like this for this time of year to get some smallies in the boat for some nice pictures. Any info would be great.

Plastics around the structure, crankbaits along edges, maybe try some topwater. Sounds like you already got into them earlier so try the same tactics again. I use more natural colors when fishing real clear water.

Could be good nightfishing too. Try jigging small sucker minnows or chubs on a hair jig. Or if you prefer to stick with plastics, big tube jigs would work too. Otherwise I've caught some dandy smallies trolling over or around rock structures with jointed crankbaits.

i fish a deep, clean, clear lake that has smallies in it and right now they are anywhere from 32 ft up to 10 ft weed lines. use your sonar on the steep breaks off of structure or just troll deep divers in the same areas. if you get deeper than the sunfish, crawlers work well. for the shallow ones go outside, over, and in weed beds. if you can find some sparser weeds amongst the rocks you should almost certainly find fish. tend to find smaller(3 to 5 inch) cranks/plastics work in side the weeds.

If its that clear I would either try luring them up with some long casted topwaters over structure or try plastics.

A chug bug casted out over a rockpile or weedline would be a good bet. Since its so clear they got no problem keying in on a bait and smashing it. Kind of a trigger response that may or may not work.

Senkos wacky hooked on a drop shot would be a good way to key on them too. If your in a area you know they are in take your time and it should be all good.

If your not above using live bait a red tail or rainbow back hooked under a float halfway to the bottom would be like candy to them.