• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Please Fire Brewster

JBMasterAngler

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LMITOUT

• PierBridge

• JBMasterAngler

• zepman

I think one of the biggest issues that Dungy will probably never coach again is all the stewardship stuff he can do now with his flexible schedule. He is all about helping people, organizations, the world etc.... and him not coaching allows him to do a lot more of it that he did in the past. I will continue to hope and dream, but I can't see it happening. I would love to see them extend a hand to him and have him help in selecting the new coach..... who is coming regardless to if you want to believe it or not Pier!!!

It is his 4th year.... he is playing with HIS guys.... doing things HIS way.... nobody else to blame right now then Brewster. You can say what you want about Mason, but where we are THIS YEAR has nothing to do with Mason.

yeah Dungy is done, why would a guy go from the colts who were winning 12 games a year to college ball on a team that stinks, he retired for a reason and he will stay retired

Quote:

So why exactly do you continue to insist that Brewster will be coaching the Gophers next year?

I'm not insisting on anything other than disagreeing with you and others that Brewster will be fired 3 weeks ago. smirk At least most of you have come to your senses on that simple part.

I think there is a chance "50/50" he will be fired after the season but I tend to look at the big picture and the many other variables that go over the heads of the typical frustrated fans heads and their knee-jerk reactions. It usually takes a year or longer before the whining majority gets there way on coaching and player changes because they don't understand how the process works.

If you think the University of Minnesota's world revolves around the Football program I have news for you it doesn't and most don't care.

Go for it hire and fire every year if you want but it doesn't matter if you can't grasp that the REAL problem as far as having a successful Football Team has nothing to do with coaching at the U AT ALL!

Carry on!

Don't get me wrong I think Dungy could be the guy to turn the program around but I get a kick out of how the great defensive minded Dungy gets credit for the Colts success. They had miserable defenses for almost the entire time Dungy was there and won only because they have the best QB to ever play the game.

Coaching is so overrated is my point.

Don't get me wrong I think Dungy could be the guy to turn the program around but I get a kick out of how the great defensive minded Dungy gets credit for the Colts success. They had miserable defenses for almost the entire time Dungy was there and won only because they have the best QB to ever play the game.

Coaching is so overrated is my point.

I would agree that coaching is overrated at the pro level but not at the college or High School level. At these levels coaching is everything.

I wouldn't say everything but it is more important in college and High school for sure.

I believe the Board of Regents and President of the U of M are more concerned with other issues than committing resources and the necessary needs to the U's football program.... smile

The stadium is a start but they'll have to do much better to turn this around if its even possible at this point.

I wouldn't say everything but it is more important in college and High school for sure.

I believe the Board of Regents and President of the U of M are more concerned with other issues than committing resources and the necessary needs to the U's football program.... smile

The stadium is a start but they'll have to do much better to turn this around if its even possible at this point.

You can't lose to South Dakota and Northern Illinois in the same year and keep your job, especially when the crowds are getting smaller.

Brewster will be fired the day after the last game, mark my words. I think him and Maturi had a gentlemans agreement when his contract was extended that if it wasn't better this year he was done, and it's not better.

He is riding Weber all the way down while the ship is sinking.

Go for it hire and fire every year if you want but it doesn't matter if you can't grasp that the REAL problem as far as having a successful Football Team has nothing to do with coaching at the U AT ALL!

What exactly are you referring to?? Don't get me wrong, I understand that the U of M cares a lot less about its football program than most of the Big Ten schools, but I am curious as to what exact aspects you are referring to? His recruiting budget is very much in line with most of the Big Ten. He can't possibly complain about facilities anymore. He had the power to over pay coordinators to get them to come here..... so, other than academic standards(which is a fallacy in my opinion... get the kid a tutor and consider him special ed of some sort... it happens all the time) what are the big issues???

Don't want it to seem like I am hammering at you Pier....you seem pretty plugged in, but always pretty vague..... so I am curious as to what circumstances you speak of?

• 2 weeks later...

The Tim Brewster era of Gophers football could come to an end as early as Saturday.

The Gophers (1-5) are in West Lafayette, Ind., to take on Purdue (3-2). If the Boilermakers win, sources with knowledge of the situation said on Friday, the school will announce Brewster won't be back next year.

The university drafted a press release and devised a media plan on Thursday to move forward if the Gophers lose their sixth consecutive game, sources said.

Brewster's contract calls for him to receive a buyout that's roughly twice as large if he remains until the end of the season than if he leaves before that.

So, if the Gophers lose at Purdue and it's announced he won't be back after this year, Brewster will have to decide if it's worth the extra money to be a lame duck for the remaining five games.

That's interesting...sounds like he's out no matter what. Gophers should just fire him after tomorrows game regardless and start to work at hiring his replacement as soon as the season ends.

We don't need a "lame duck" calling, writing, texting or showing up to any future recruits games right now. Get it done and let's move forward!!

Put a blank check in front of Holtz and beg him to come back for a few years and make us halfway respectable again.

Twins, Vikes, Wolves, Gophers. I am embarrased anymore.

Well it looks like we're well on our way to losing this game. My question is, why is this game significant enough for him to keep his job if he wins? And what would happen if he lost this game, they say he's gone, but then he comes back and beats iowa and ohio state? Is he still fired?

This is great though, I'm watching the game and literally counting down the minutes of brewster's career. I'm all for him being gone asap, but who would be the replacement for the rest of the season? His whole staff sucks!!!

I hope todays game was Brewster's last game or at least U comes out and says that he will not be back next year. So he'll be a lameduck coach.

I am use to the poor coaching for the teams in Mn. Brewster needs to go and I would bet he may last until the end of the season.

No use to fire him now as this team is a JOKE.

I think the Gophers might win a few with Brewster ifd they dropped to division 2.

He had has some time to get thinmgs moving forward and has only went backwards or nowhere at the least.

I say we send Brewster and Chilly packing. It's time to clean house.

The Gophers fired Tim Brewster as football coach Sunday morning. Co-offensive coordinator Jeff Horton will take over the head coaching duties for the season’s final five regular-season games.

The school has scheduled a news conference at 1 p.m.

“While I appreciate the passion and commitment that Coach Brewster has shown, it is clear that a change in the leadership of Gopher football is necessary,” Gophers Athletic Director Joel Maturi said in a statement released by the university. “We have high aspirations for our football program and we are not satisfied with its current direction. The results so far this season have been unacceptable and the program has simply not shown enough improvement over the past three and a half years to continue with the status quo.”

Brewster was 15-30 as Gophers’ coach, including 6-21 in the Big Ten. Brewster’s fate may have been decided when the Gophers lost nonconference games to South Dakota (41-38) and Northern Illinois (34-23).

Brewster signed a contract extension in January, and he will be paid a buyout of $600,000 under that agreement, the U said.

Brewster was hired on January, 17, 2007, less than three weeks after the university fired Glen Mason after nine seasons as coach. Brewster was the NFL Denver Broncos tight ends coach in 2006, and had never been a professional or college head coach or coordinator.

Maturi admitted the risk involved in Brewster’s lack of previous high-level coaching experience.

“I realize that my neck’s on the line,’’ Maturi said on the day that Brewster was introduced to Gophers fans. Maturi admitted then that most people reading Brewster’s resume might have “put him in the ‘no’ pile, if you didn’t do your homework. But I did my homework.’’

It became immediately apparent that Brewster was given to hyperbole. At his opening press conference, he coined the phrase, “Gopher Nation’’ and pledged end the Gophers’ Rose Bowl drought, which is the longest in the Big Ten, dating to the 1961 season.

“We’re going to win the Big Ten championship and we’re going to take the Gopher Nation to Pasadena [site of the Rose Bowl],’’ Brewster said at his first press conference. “That’s my dream, that’s my goal and that’s my belief. It will happen here sooner rather than later.’’ blush

If Maturi said his neck was on the line maybe he should follow him out the door!!

I'm still gonna hope for this horton character to lose every game...we don't want any chance for any of brewster's leftovers to be on the staff next year, let alone as the head coach eek I'm still going to pray they at least make an offer to mike leach. But I will be more than happy if we get mark trestman.

I'm still gonna hope for this horton character to lose every game

I highly doubt the gophers will win another game all year. I heard on the radio yest the gophers are worthy of 1 of the 5 worst teams in division 1 football

I think Pier will be disappearing from the football thread for a while!!

Think we'll be waiting a bit on the hockey thread also. wink Maybe the Wolves will come through for him? Doh.

Who would've thought at the start of the season that the penn state game is our best chance for a conference win? crazy I'll be at the game, so it'll be interesting to see if the mentality of the crowd is any different with brewster gone.