• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Portable ladder stand - recommendations?

Long Gray Line

I've been searching for a portable packable ladder stand. I've seen the Rivers Edge Pack-n-Stack but it seems a little short. A lot of others seem to be out of production or just not available (BBK, Loggy Bayou, etc). Anyone know of one that's available that they would recommend. For medical reasons I can't use a climber or set up climbing sticks.

Tks much

I don't mean to mention your medical concern, but if you can't use a climber or sticks, how will you be able to assemble and raise a ladder stand?

I'll look for a packable ladder stand, but most of them are kept short to save on weight.

I don't mean to mention your medical concern, but if you can't use a climber or sticks, how will you be able to assemble and raise a ladder stand?

I'll look for a packable ladder stand, but most of them are kept short to save on weight.

Setting them up isn't all that hard, but packing them around is going to cause a lot more problems, those things are heavy and if you are going any distance you are going to get tired a lot faster then using a climber or hang on.

I would either buy and setup multiple ladder stands or go with a hangon/sticks or climber and just go very slow and take your time to help prevent any medical issues.

I would consider a good ground blind that is light weight and easy to carry around. Its usually better to have them setup in a location so the deer get use to them but if you spend some extra time brushing them in you should be ok if you want to move around a lot.

I've never seen a ladder stand that I would use the word "portable" with in the same sentence. The higher you want to go, the heavier and more bulky the stand will be.

I would second the option of a nice ground blind. The other option I'd consider is asking along some young, "tough" kid who can carry the stand for you.

I had one fellow hunter tell me he took his ladder stand and mounted 2 bicycle tires on his and wheels it around. Then if he gets a deer he is allowed to put it on the ladder stand and wheel it out.

The med problem is shoulders. One's been surgically rebuilt from army injuries, the other one needs it soon and working with the arms overhead is a challenge. I can pull the bow, just have a hard time raising the arms overhead. Climbing a ladder is assembly on the ground and mostly legs to climb. Sticks and a hanger are assembly on the tree working overhead and that's shoulders. I have a Doublebull I hunt out of but I can't count the number of times deer walk by within range but are covered up by brush. Of course they never come out in the cleared areas and pose! I'm only able to get out 3, maybe 4 times on public land to hunt in the fall. Just hoping to get a little elevation to see over the low growth. Funny how there used to be more "portables" on the market and those companies are out of business or discontinued the product. BBK had one that folded up on strong hinges, 15' tall, about 35lbs. Can't find it anywhere. Loggy Bayou's site says their 35lb portable is 'out of stock'. Oh, and my tough kid to carry the stand is in Afghanistan until next spring!

You might be out of luck for now Long Gray, there must not have been money in those portable ladder stands so everyone closed them down.

Having a better idea of your situation I would get out now and cut some shooting lanes for your ground blind, you should have some time to let things cool down before the opener gets here. Get several spots setup so you can move around a little bit. Or possible scout out some locations and setup on the edge of thicker cover so you have more open shooting.

If you can get into an area with a deer cart, that would be a good way of bringing in a ladder stand. I just don't think there is an option for a truly "portable" ladder stand. They are certainly nice to hunt out of and easy to get into, but I generally find that ladder stands get put up and left up due to their bulk and the clumsiness of setting them (often its best to have two people raise them).

I certainly wish you the best of luck. Hopefully those shoulders improve and that "tough" guy makes it home safe from Afghanistan. Even if you can carry a stand on your own, its a heck of a lot nicer to have a youngster carry it for you!

I have a pack'n'stack and it's easily portable. Plenty high enough, too, if you have a good backdrop.

Good Luck!

All of the ladder stands I have seen need two people to set up safely. And none are all that portable. If the problem is working above or at shoulder height you may consider a stand up, sit down type climber. You climb by sitting down on the seat facing the tree and then raising the standing platform with your feet. Next stand up and pull up the seat. Sit down and repeat till you reach your height. You never need to raise your arms for climbing. If you, and you should be, are wearing a safety harness you can just move it up the tree as you go when you stand up.