• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New CVA Buckhorn - What to use?

This will be my first muzzle loader, it was too good of a deal to pass up (see the C store website). I'm excited to use this for deer season. Before I spend the money on sabots, primers, and powder, does anyone have some good combination's you could recommend?

Thanks,

First off is it a inline if it is I would start off with triple 7 powder in 50 grain pellets use 2 of them and a 250 grain hornady sts sabot for primers I use standard winchester shot shell primers I have them laying every where since that is what I relode my 12 gage shells with. I sight mine in 3-4 inches high at 50 yards and puts me about dead on at 150 yards I shoot 150 grains of powder though and im not sure if yours will handel the 150 grains of powder.

It will take trial and error on your part. My CVA optima groups poorly with 2 50 grain pellets of 777 and a 245 grain hornady sabot. I'd recommend getting loose powder and a powder measure and a variety of sabots. It will cost more to begin with, but you will be glad you did it in the end.

It looks like Buckhorn 290 powder is getting good remarks. I think I'm going to start with that. This is an inline and rated to 150 grains. I think I'll start at 100 though.

I have some friends that shoot loose powder and get great results with 90 to 98 grains of loose powder.

Yeah I'll start with 90 grain. It sounds like hornady sts's are the bullet of choice for most. Can't wait to shoot it. Should be fun! Thanks for the input guys.