• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Need some advice from the experts here please

First of all, I would like to say this is my first post, although have been reading for a long time now.

Anyway, a buddy of mine and I are taking a trip and will be leaving in the camper on September 30th. We are heading up North from Rochester and are not sure where to go? We will not be taking a boat, so we will need to find a place that we can hook up the camper to, and also a place that has boat rentals that we could use for the week. We have not been to any of the lakes up that way, besides Mille Lacs. We would like to find a nice smaller lake that produces some nice Fall Walleye/Northern fishing.

Any ideas of Lakes, campgrounds/resorts that we can hook up the camper to and enjoy some awesome Fall fishing.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

north long and gull both have places that will work for you

both good lakes

or look up brainerd.com lots of info there

410 lakes in crow wing county you should be albe to find something to your

liking

I know LB Rental rents boats to either of those lakes as well as many others in the area. You could camp at the Gull Lake Recreation area. you could plug in your camper there for a reasonable price and have a boat delivered to the gull landing for you.

The army corps of engineers campground on cross lake would be a good place too. LOT'S of northerns to be caught there.

dont know who LB rentals is

but sportland bait rents bait plus you can get up to date info there on fishing and of coarse bait...lol

dont know who LB rentals is

but sportland bait rents bait plus you can get up to date info there on fishing and of coarse bait...lol

Do I have to return all the bait? What if some comes back with teeth marks? LOL

JB, any walleye on Cross Lake? What else can we catch besides Northern in the Fall?

Thanks!

Another recommendation for the Corp Campground on Crosslake. You have access to 14 lakes, and will infd walleye and pike on Cross or Whitefish, and even trout on Big Trout (I never have though, ha!). Nice and faily cheap camping, necessities across the street, and at least two places to rent boat/pontoon from just down the road. We rented big toon from Al's and they were great. Also rented from Bait Box in the past and had good luck. Once labor day goes by, the lake gets much quieter and nicer. You would have your pick of campsites in the fall, and can reserve them online.

Good luck wherever you go, have fun! smile

I don't fish walleyes, but cross and the rest of the chain have alot of them from what I hear, but apparently they are very hard to catch. Big trout is stocked with lake trout, and is probably my favorite lake in the area. The whole chain is loaded with pike, and lot's of largemouth bass...big trout has decent numbers of smallmouths too. I've caught a few nice perch and sunnies casting for bass too. And if for some reason the fishing is slow, you can always rely on the excellent trophy rock bass fishing to keep you busy smile September in brainerd is great! I go up there about that same time every year...although this year I might only be up for a weekend frown

ya the whitefish is a very good fishery but ithink you hafta to spend alittle time on it to really be successful

just my opinion

i think gull is probably the easiest to go to and get action

also maybe alittle easier to get pointed in the right direction

sportland bait (has pretty good info from local guiedes)

plus a few more boats on the water that time of the year give you a little hint where to go

be sure to bring warm clothes never know that time of the year and good

rain gear

I go up to the Corps campground every year. It's a nice place to camp and has easy access to the water. The folks at the Bait Box are nice. I've rented from them several times. The Whitefish chain is nice because you've got 14 or so lakes you can go to, some small, some large.

thanks jmm888. We are heading up at the end of Sept/beginning of Oct. Any idea on the cost for the rentals at any of the places? Just trying to figure out if it is worth it to rent rather than drag the boat up behind the camper. We have to make a couple stops on the way and figured it would be worth it to just rent but have never rented a boat before, so just curious.

Thanks to all!

FWIW - it costs about $275 a day to rent a 25' pontoon (Premiere, totally awesome and plush!). I am sure you would get a better rate if for more than one day, and also it won't be peak season so that might help as well. Not sure what boats they have available. That 25' pontoon, while extremely nice, would not be good for fishing though - benches all the way around it. But for cruising it is awesome. If you get it through Bait Box maybe you would get deal on bait too wink

Hey Rookeye -

Depending on what you've budgeted for your trip, it's probably worth an hour of your time to review the "vacation rentals" section of the major classified listing site that starts with a C. Many cabin owners in the Brainerd Lakes area are renting out their cabins for various reasons (loss of job, increased property taxes, etc)on a weekly basis. Often times the use of whatever boats they own is included. That would obviously limit your ability to hop from lake to lake - but based on the cost above to rent a pontoon, plus the gas to haul a camper from Rochester and back - you'd probably save money and have a nice place to stay.

Not sure how many will be renting them out that late in the year - but it's something else to consider.