• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

03 skeeter sx190

MegaHawk

Question

Im lookin at buyin one of these and was lookin for any info on likes and hates? it has a 150 yamaha vmax and dual consols. Anything known to go wrong with that motor?

thanks for the info.

7 answers to this question

theres a website. the name is the type of boat a skeeter is. and new york has grand ______ station. it three words.com type of boat skeet is and the blank needs to be filled in. they are very knowledgeable and have a whole forum dedicated to every major brand of bass boat. and even a likes and dislikes page broke down by brand. hope you can figure out the riddle cuz i dont know if its ok to post the address here.

Might want to try this post in the Bass forum further down the page.. Skeeter makes a great boat. You will find few to say different. But then again, you will find few that hate the boat they have.. I say if you found a good deal on it, your good to go.. The only negative I have EVER heard on Skeeters is the size of the live well.. and not so much the size, but the depth.. All depends on if you tournament fish. But the ride in a bug"skeeter" is usually pretty good. Decent mix of speed and rough water driveability.

All that said.. its still no BassCat.. (keep in mind I said, no one thinks they bought the wrong boat and love they boat they own.) LOL

My previous boat was a 96 ZX180, which later became the SX model that was unchanged. My boat was 18' 3 or 6" and rode really bow-high and rough in a crosswind. You could trim it down and plow the waves (and get wet), or it would hop all over and you take a good back pounding. My boat didn't have hydraulic steering, so I had lots of steering torque at low speeds with the motor trimmed down. I think that was an option in on the SX line 03'. My boat was short on storage (none in the rear) and with the second console your rod locker is shorter on the port side. I like the layout of a single console in all boats under 20 ft. My major gripe of the boat is that access to my bilge pump, and transducer mounting area was covered by the gas tank. When I had a clogged bilge and I decided to upgrade my electronics, it was a 2 day project to remove the batteries, trays, and tank just to do a simple project. Around 03' skeeter changed to a split gas tank design on the zx model, but I don't know if that changed on the SX. I also had problems with the vinyl seats drying out and cracking. They seamed cheap to me. Lastly, my trailer was garbage. I had major rust issues and bearing problems, and I replaced all the wood and carpet bunks when the boat was only 4 years old. The motor was rock solid, but a gas hog. Some guys who ran cheap ethanol gas had fuel pump issues. Overall I would buy the boat over again. I ran it for over 10 years and it still performed like I just got it. Fit and finish were on par with the price at the time, and it had good resale value. A lot of my opinions are based on personal preference. Make shure you have a 50" shaft on the trolling motor or it will hop out of the water in the wind.

113-1347_IMG.jpg

yes this 03 has the split gas tanks, it has some rashes the guy said but i have not seen it in person to see how bad it is. other than that the only issue I see with it is the size of the livewells. compared to my crestliner they r tiny!

That is a huge plus if you have the better gas tank design. The nice part about purchasing a boat this time of year is that you can try everything out on the water and see how it works for you. Try out every switch and accessory, and if it's not up to par then you can use that to negotiate on the price. The livewells never bothered me. I fished some team tournaments out of mine with 8 fish limits, and never had a fish die on me with the timer on. If you bring along a cooler and your buddy has a bunch of rods, it will get really tight on space around the console area. You should be able to get a smoking deal on a boat in the fall. The selection is always worse compared to the spring time, but you can usually save a lot of money.