• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

MY BOW BLEW UP!!!!!!!!!!!

MUSKY18

Went out to practice the other night, setup my target and got ready. Knocked an arrow, got to full draw and was just about to hit the release and one of the limbs on my bow cracked in half and shattered. Arrow and strings went flying all over the place and I guess I was lucky that it didn't end up badly. Question is....why did this happen. I have always checked my bow and didn't notice anything wrong with it. I had just shot it two nights before this. It was an older bow, so could it just be from age? Is there something I could have done better to prevent this from happening? Thoughts..............

Chock it up to the law of averages, Murphy's law...whatever. It happens, not often and usually with an older bow. Lucky you didn't get hurt.

Look on the bright side, NEW BOW!!!

Scary... Glad your OK. I had a PSE crack a limb about 10 years ago. It just cracked and the Bow guy noticed it when I took it in for a tune up. I called customer service and they gave me one of equal value for half price. The bow was 10 years old when that happened. The Bow guy had some good stories to tell about bows snapping on him. You may want to try giving the maker a call, maybe they will help you out with a new one. Good luck on the new bow... Better get it and get shootin. Sheeee's comin up

Wow, scary moment, glad you are ok though, can be a very injury fulfilled accident, that's for sure. It happens but is rare, starts with hairline stress fractures and just gives after awhile. Being an older bow, I wouldn't ever be afraid to take it in for a tune up every year and let them check the limbs out.

Mark it up to age. I do not think there is anything you could have prevented from happening.

Its a bummer that it happened and even a bigger bummer that it happened this close to hunting season.

age is always the first thing that comes to mind, but if you have ever left your bow in a vehicle or where it could have gotten hot, could cause it to delaminate too. I have always wondered about leaving them strung in the off season when we are doing something else and it is just sitting there. glad you did not get hurt, makes a case for long sleeve shirts and safety glasses.

I'm glad you're not hurt, its never fun when it happens, the only time it ever happened to me was with a customers bow, it was an older bow and he said it was making a funny noise, after giving it a visual inspection it all looked fine, no cracks in the limbs, strings were in good shape and nothing looked out of whack. When I drew his bow back to verify the funny sound, it exploded. Limbs were about 20 yards from where I was standing and I was left with the riser in my hand. He wasn't upset he was just happy it happened to me and not him. We got him new limbs and he was happy. Sometimes there isn't anything that you did, just a old piece of equipment that was ready to be replaced. All you can hope for is that no one gets hurt when it does

WOW! how old and what brand, not that this is going to start a bashing of any particular brand but I have an older Hoyt Fast flight I would like to start shooting or give my boy to start shooting? I'm just glad you're ok and like someone before me you get to start shopping for a new one.

mr

Good thing you weren't hurt. I was doing a practice draw in the stand last fall when I heard an awful sound at full draw. The top limb of my Drenalin cracked. Lucky for me, I was able to make it to the shop and get new limbs and was hunting the next day.

Good thing you weren't hurt. I was doing a practice draw in the stand last fall when I heard an awful sound at full draw. The top limb of my Drenalin cracked. Lucky for me, I was able to make it to the shop and get new limbs and was hunting the next day.

Nice to have an "in" in the archery business huh? grin

Glad you are not hurt! As an engineer, a good guess would be crack propagation caused by a molecular level defect. As the number of stress cycles (shots) increase, the defect microscopically enlarged until it hit a critical stress level and instantly raced through you limb at the speed of sound. Same thing happened to a graphite fishing rod of mine. The defect was a small weak spot caused by bumping the rod on the gunnale. Probably way too much information but the long and short of it, wasn't your fault and probably nothing you could have reasonably been able to inspect for.

Meat Run:

I was shooting a PSE Nova 4. Hope that isn't against formum policy to list that, and by no means is it meant in any way to disrespect PSE bows. I LOVED that bow and was very glad to have it. Would never turn me off to their products in amy way, shape or form.

I chalk it up to "things happen" and now I get to get a new bow. Always a positive out of something!! smile Just got to put in the time to adjust and get used to a new bow before get to the season. Just applied for the Arden Hills archery hunt and need to shoot a big boy out of there!

If i could figure out how to put a picture on here, I would post a picture of the new AZ record. Amazing animal, any suggestions are appreciated. It will just make you want to archery hunt sooner. Here is a link to the guide that took Matt out but no picture yet, but some WOW animals.

[note from admin-please read forum policy before posting again.]

You can now upload directly from your camera or computer.

Hit the reply button and a line will appear at the top of the reply box. Click on the picture with the blue arrow and it asks where to get the picture from. A new and easy way from HSO!

thanks Musky18, I don't think your breaking any forum rules and I would go and purchase another PSE if I was in your situation, "stuff happens". You have a positive additude about it and thats great just sorry to hear that it even happened.

Good luck this fall.

mr

I had the same thing happen to me a number of years ago with an older Browning bow. The initial "ticked off" feeling faded, and I counted my blessing that I still had a functioning hand with all my fingers. Mine had wooden limbs, and it was definitely a case of delaminating...the top layer pulled apart from the lower layer and I was left holding a mass of strings, cables and cracked wood

I've had two of them snap on me over the years, the first was a York recurve, the top limb snapped while I was practicing and caught me in the mouth....ouch! The second was my Martin Firecat, (that had probably seen over 10,000 shots), again I was practing and on my third shot the top limb just collapsed as I drew back...I got on the phone to Martin and ordered new limbs & cables and I had it up and shooting again within a week! It happens!