• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

what to do with this deer mount?

NaturesRespect

My dad has a 10 point mount that he does not want anymore. Our trailer home is too small to hang the deer so it looks nice. Im thinking of donating it to Gander Mtn. in Blaine to display or giving to either my frand or my high schools Outdoor Advnetures class. I Boone and Crocketted it and it scored 122 5/8 inches but this was my very first attemp to score a deer so i just followed the instructions on the Boone and Crockette site took the measurements typed it in and there calculator came up with 122 5/8 inch final score, i think the gross score was 160 or 140.

Is it possible to sell the mount? if so how much can i expect to get for it?

Heres a few pics i took of the mount (note that the one pic with the arrow is only to show the antler size compaired to a 28 1/2 inch arrow, deer was originally taken with an AR-15 in Wisconsin)

Forgot to mention this deer was taken in 1998 or 99

DSC04340.jpg

DSC04338.jpg

DSC04335.jpg

DSC04333.jpg

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

looks like around a 135 to 140 gross to me with 12 to 15 deducts so you are probably pretty close. Pretty rack. Donating it to a sports store or a school club would be a very nice idea. Mounts like that go for 1-200 bucks on ebayy if you find the right buyer.

There's a local auction house here in North St. Paul that has had pretty good luck selling mounts. They sell them to the highest bidder and then the auction house takes a percentage. Lot's of offices want them for ambiance.

Check and see if there is anything similar around the Blain area.

yeah you could sell it not sure how much you could get like they said it varies, or donate it would be nice as well, tax write off if you could get a reciept

yeah you could sell it not sure how much you could get like they said it varies, or donate it would be nice as well, tax write off if you could get a reciept

whats a tax write off?

also forgot to mention theres this like dry scabby thing on the antlers base looks like a dried up sticky substance and it also looks like wood bark all i could come up with is that its dried syrup mapple thing mixed with tree bark from when it use to roam the woods and made scrapes on trees

A deer head does not take up much room on a wall!!! Tell hime to keep the darn thing!!! Nice looking buck. Alot of people would love to shoot a buck like that!!

A deer head does not take up much room on a wall!!! Tell hime to keep the darn thing!!! Nice looking buck. Alot of people would love to shoot a buck like that!!

Im 5'8" in our trailer home to hang it up the ceilings too low were i would need the bottom of the mount to be about chest high and with the head sticking out people might hit there heads or nock the mount down home is just too small. its true that those kind of deer are once in a lifetime deer. I will miss it truly even though its my dads deer

keep it, don't give it to them, in the future you might regret it because it was your dads. loan it to them to display but get something in writing or to prove it's yours so you can get it back someday or hang it at a friends.

I agree nonteepical dont give it away. Let afriend take it till you have room. A buddy of mine lived in a trailer house too. and he had 5 mounts on the wall, plus fish!! You will regret it.

I agree nonteepical dont give it away. Let afriend take it till you have room. A buddy of mine lived in a trailer house too. and he had 5 mounts on the wall, plus fish!! You will regret it.

if it was my house id have it hanging up but its not my place.... as for the taking it apart and making a plaque antler mount that sounds like a very good idea.... if i cannot find a buyer ill ask my dad if he wants to keep the antlers for memories and toss the shoulder

I believe if you donate it to GM its just a temporary thing, I'm pretty sure you can go back and retrieve it anytime you would like. I would check into that. That way it can be displayed in a place where lots of outdoorsman can see it and appreciate it, and you can always walk into that store and say my dad shot that deer. I think that is a much better option than selling it or taking it apart. I still have a spike buck on my wall that my grandfather shot, is there room for it, no not really but it was his, and to me that means a lot. I agree with others that you'll regret getting rid of it for good. Check into Gander or one of the other big box stores and see what they're policy is. I know a lot of small pro shops would also enjoy having it on their wall if they have the room, I would feel more secure with it at a big box store because of the security measures but thats just me.

Bring the mount to a resort you go to. The resort close to my cabin on Osakis has over the years have had a few hanging on the walls (walleyes and bucks). They like them there and ask if we have any more to put there temporary as you always get them back. Makes getting free boat launching a cinch! grin

That dried up stuff on the antler base could be some of the dried up velvet from rubbing and the buck did not gey it all removed.

You should be able to take a pick of some sort and remove it.