• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing Near Glacier National Park

sparetime

I'm leaving for a fun family filled vacation to Glacier National Park for the last week in August and first week in September.

Any tips or suggestions for a day of fishing in the area? I'll probably only get one day, maybe two if I'm really good. I would like to go after trout. Could hit the Missouri on the way home, but it seems that a guided float trip is $450 per day, which is out of my budget for this trip. Water seems to big to wade, but maybe that possible too. I have only fly fished in Minnesota, so this is new territory for me.

Suggested fly patterns for this time of year?

There are lots of places the wade around the Missouri. Hoppers and pheasant tailed nymphs are hot right now. There are also lots of smaller streams that you can go to around the Craig-Cascade stretch of the Missouri if the big water makes you a little hesitant.

Look up a shop called head hunters. They can give you a little insight on what you'll need for flies and what tactics are working. They're great guys that are willing to give you all the info you want, even if you're not buying anything.

Good luck, let us know how you did once you get back.

Thanks for the info. Just need to figure out some logistics, if the wife has the car how do I get from fishing spot to spot? Or can I just get dropped off and work my way down the Missouri back to town? Again, never been there, don't know the rules, distances, etc. I realize access is way different that Minnesota.

Any fishing opportunities up near the park? There would probably be more for the family to do during the day if they were close to Whitefish, etc.

hidden lake in glacier park is great-- nice yellowstone cutthroats, and a super-easy, beautiful hike to the lake from the visitor center which will guarantee u encounters with mountain goats, marmots, bighorn sheep, etc.... just walk around the west side of the lake from the outlet and throw buggers or slowly strip big scuds...... any place with depth is great..... the hike alone is worth it, bring a picnic and some fishing stuff and you can make a day of it....

swiftcurrent lake is another one right by the road at many glacier lodge and not that far from hidden lake..... you can wade around the shallows by the inflow and catch some small to decent brookies.....

just talked to a friend who fished the missouri a week or two ago and said he caught some monsters..... that's a pretty easy river to float, so if you can row a boat or steer a canoe on a river, i'm guessing you can rent one in craig and you should be fine-- just put in below the glen canyon dam and make yer way from spot to spot and anchor and cast or get out and fish-- you'll have dry fly fishing in the mornings with small dries and finnicky fish and great nymphing during the day...... pretty sure you can wade a bit by the dam if you don't want to boat it.....

most of the great fishing is further southwest in montana-- but there are a few other streams around missoula that are good, rock creek being my favorite, and the flathead's forks are all good-- the south fork being the best, but also the hardest to find access to..... there are also a few streams flowing out of glacier that are worth wetting a line if you are in the area...... look through all the glacier nat'l park and related entries on glaciertoyellowstone.com..... nice descriptions of the forks of the flathead and spots in glacier to fish......

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice.

I did get a morning of fishing at Avalanche Lake in Glacier Park. I had never fished a mountain lake like that before, so it took some time to figure things out. Eventually ended up with about 7 in 2 or 3 hours. What a blast, scenery, fishing, beautiful day.

Also, I had the fortune to be invited with some friends on a last minute float of the Bighole River. That was a great day also. Several large fish, cutthroat, rainboaw and brown. Great weather, great day.

Remind me why I choose to live in Minnesota again?

awesome.... glad you hit some good spots..... the big hole is a great river and avalanche is a beautiful lake.... fishing can be a little tough at avalanche but the scenery more than makes up for it.....