• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing in the green stuff

Gunnin4fish

Does the significant amount of algae in and on the water have you alter your tactics like going more to a different color lure? Specifically for lake fishing for bass and panfish. I like summer but I don't look forward to the green. eek

really depends... sometimes go with larger lures.. but dont go crazy.. jigs with rattles can work. Find any healthy weeds or deep rock and you should be good to go. To be honest, I like when it gets green, the fish seem more predictable if you ask me.

Most fish you will need to make slight adjustments for. When fishing panfish, I generally think they rise in the water column. Both days this weekend I saw many sunfish coming up to the surface to feed even at the mid-day hours, and most fish suspended fish I marked were only down 5 to 8 feet. Bass really don't require much of an adjustment, they seem to have no problem finding even the quietest of baits in the thick green stuff. Walleye are tough simply because green is associated with warm and warm usually means tough eye fishing. Pike/muskie seem to be the most affected. Being heavily optical predators often you will need to get something that really rattles, or go to the cleaner side of the lake to improve your chances.

+1 for a clearer lake. We have had an algea bloom on our lake for over 2 months. Fishing (catching) has all but stopped since it first arrived.

Try Metallic Golds, and oranges, spinners, and in cranks. They tend to do well in lakes with significant blooms.

I like orange as well. And I like to change my line after the bloom, funny seeing clear line all green on yer spool. Its just a confidence thing i think.

try some ice gear......lindy's rattl'n flyer, northland's buckshot spoon. also give eagle claw's beaded/spinner snells a shot. use to live on sauk chain where it got pretty green and all of these worked well.

Thanks for the suggestions! I appreciate it a lot. I'm going to fish Lake Tetonka next week. I've also been watching the thread on South Central MN. Tetonka was looking very green last Saturday when I was through there. Maybe I'll have some fish to post!