• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Couple questions

Hick727

Well ive been fishing seriously for about 6 years now, so since i was 10. Ive been using a Spincast the whole time. Im not really good with spinning reels. So i wanna learn how to use a baitcaster. Does anyone have any suggestions for which baitcast i should buy? Not cheaply made but not super expensive. Also whats a #5 rapala mean? Or a #7? What do they mean?

#5 or #7 is the size of the rapala. Smaller the number, smaller the lure. As far as what to buy for a bait caster... If you have problems fishing with a spinning reel I think you are going to have a lot more troubles with a bait caster.

There is no reason no one over the age of 6 can't learn to use a spinning reel OR a baitcast reel in a day of fishing.

Buy one, MAKE yourself use it (leave those spincasts at home) and you'll pick it up just fine.

Just go use it and you'll get better at it each time.

i think using a spinning reel would be much eaiser to learn then a baitcast reel, but you should be able to learn fast off of each one.

My recommendations.

1. read up on the reviews on the reels online before picking one

2. Watch some of the instructional videos on youtube that show how to adjust the brake and drag appropriately.

3. Tie on something to practice with and throw it around the yard awhile if you cannot practice on the water.

Piece of cake.

The number per Rapala lure refers to the length in centimeters.

As to the baitcasters, I really think you should try a spinning reel first. They are very easy to learn, and I use them 95% of the time.

I have two baitcasters, one that's a cheap Daiwa, and a medium priced Pflueger. Both work fine if you can get the thumbing process down. You need to slow down the spool before the lure hits the water or you will get a birds nest of fishing line (backlash). The more you do this, the easier it gets. I still get backlashes occasionally, but it's pretty rare. There are also adjustments for braking and line tension.

Hick727,

Most reel makers make an intermediate line of reels that are good quality reels, whether it be Shimano, Daiwa, Bass Pro or Quantum - just to name a few. I would buy one, get some line on it and spend time practicing casts. I would put momo on it initially until you get the feel of casting with it then work on your accuracy of casts and distance. I rarely use anything but baitcasters now as I prefer them over spinning reels.

Hick-Learning to use a baitcaster can be very frustrating. Do not go cheap, it will get you discouraged. I would suggest the Shimano Citica if you can afford it, it will set you back $120. And dont just buy it, go to a reputable store and talk to a sales associate. Have them show you all the anti backlash mech. Both the clutch and centrifugal breaks. Spool it with the cheapest 10 lb line you can find, and buy extra. SO that when you get a real bad backlash you can cut it off and start over. Also, before your first cast, walk out a long casts worth of line, then put a piece of electrical tape over the spool, be sure the tape does not touch the edge of the spool. This way when you do backlash, it will only go as deep as the tape. Lastly, buy a small casting dummy. Practice in your yard, before you get frstrated on the water.

Best of luck! Let us know how it goes.

Hick-Learning to use a baitcaster can be very frustrating. Do not go cheap, it will get you discouraged. I would suggest the Shimano Citica if you can afford it, it will set you back $120. And dont just buy it, go to a reputable store and talk to a sales associate. Have them show you all the anti backlash mech. Both the clutch and centrifugal breaks. Spool it with the cheapest 10 lb line you can find, and buy extra. SO that when you get a real bad backlash you can cut it off and start over. Also, before your first cast, walk out a long casts worth of line, then put a piece of electrical tape over the spool, be sure the tape does not touch the edge of the spool. This way when you do backlash, it will only go as deep as the tape. Lastly, buy a small casting dummy. Practice in your yard, before you get frstrated on the water.

Best of luck! Let us know how it goes.

Best Answer Here! Thank You!

Good tips and with a few basic points of instruction and some practice time, you will be off and rolling.

Since this is your first baitcasing reel, and your used to a spinning reel, I may also suggest if you are now comfortable with reeling with your left hand on your spinning reel....do the same with the baitcaster from the very start.

Whatever is your strong arm, or dominant hand, should be your hand on the rod..reel with the lazy hand....write right handed..then reel with your left. Or visa-versa if your left handed.

It is a matter of conservation of energy and less wasted motion by switching hands after the cast...many anglers do...and it is a break in the natural motion of the casting process. Think about it, you really would not wish to switch hands after every cast with your spinning reel, would you?

Learn the functions and the simple settings on the spool velocity and centrifugal brake, and they rest is just rhythm, you will be in the groove in less than an hour.

Shop wisely, most reels with 4 to 6 bearing or more are excellent reels. Most mainline $80 reels now are better than any $200 reel was just 10 years ago.

Also, before your first cast, walk out a long casts worth of line, then put a piece of electrical tape over the spool, be sure the tape does not touch the edge of the spool. This way when you do backlash, it will only go as deep as the tape.(quote, deitz dittrich)

Good idea. I wish I would have thought of that back when I was learning.

I love baitcasters.

Nothing wrong with fishing with a spincast. I got lots of combos but in some situations fishing stream trout or panfish...I gotta have my GC80. Its the only Diawa reel I use now.

My first baitcast was a Diawa Bantam 10SG. It didn't take long to figure it out but now I mainly use spinning reels with light tackle.

• 4 months later...