• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trailer bearing replacement????

triggertrav

Question

I am looking to get a spare wheel bearing for my shorelander trailer, but not sure the size in need. Anyone know where i can find that with out taking the existing hub apart and getting the number off it??

thanks

5 answers to this question

I also have a ShoreLander trailer and I think you are far better off getting the numbers off of the present bearings and seal than trying to figure it out from their trailer manual. The company website isn't much help. I do know that I was looking for extra bearing last fall and the parts store didn't carry them but could order them for about $100 a side. A little pricey if you ask me. I have had my trailer since 2002 (new) and haven't had trouble with the wheel bearings but I pack them every fall.

Good Luck!!!!!!!

Mike

I did a set this spring on a 90's shorelander. They were 1 1/16" I think and $20 a set but I'd pull the hub with a mic in hand and measure the shaft and housing and back seal. Then I'd go buy a replacement hub because carrying around bearings isn't really going to be a quick fix. I think the hubs were $50-60 last time I was at TSC.

You can look up your trailer on Shorelanders website and it just might tell you what size they are. My trailer is a 91 and I was able to get the part numbers so I could go in to a dealer and order the parts. My guess would be that they are a 1 1/16" but pulling them off and repacking the bearings and replacing the seal is really the best way to find out what you really need.

thanks fellas - i tried the boat shop in town and checking the website with no luck. just might have to pull it apart.

thanks.

If you know the number of lug bolts and diameter of the hub face and also the tire/wheel size there is a chart in the back of the owners manual that lists the sizes and numbers of the bearings you need. If your trailer is less than 1500# capacity it's probably got the 1&1/16" inner and outer bearings,like mine. The higher load trailers use larger sizes and stepped spindles. If there is a Mills Fleet Farm near you the Duton / Lainson brand bearings will be 9.50$ a set. If the automotive section is out of stock try the sporting goods section - you can buy the exact same bearings and cups in a Fulton brand box for 12.50$ a set. As far as a quick fix at the side of the road, don't bother with spare bearings, go with a preloaded hub.