• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Grunting

WyoChris

How many people use grunt calls when they are in thier stand? I have heard some people say they swear by them, and other's say they are worthless. What do you think? I'm pretty new to bowhunting, so I don't have an opinion yet, but i'd like to get your opinions.

Thanks

Chris

from mid october they are one of the best things to have up in the tree, out here in the dakotas decoys work great out in the open. I always have my grunt call and use the decoy on a regular basis come november.

Great tool to use during the heat of the rut if you know there are bucks in the area!! They are also nice just to make a little noise and get the curiosity of deer to make them come out and see whats goin on!! Grunting doesn't hurt anything i guess!

On the other hand, sometimes silence is the best thing!!

I've not had any luck with them until about the middle of Oct. After that, they can work well at times. If a buck is coming towards me, I just let him come. If he's going to go past me, but out of range, I will try grunt him or bleat him over. I often bleat first, if that doesn't work, I grunt. If that doesn't work, I'll rattle once they are far enough away to not bust me. Sometimes one will flip their trigger, but the others won't. Sometimes, nothing works and they just keep on strolling by.

I always have mine on me from opening day to the end of the season, why not it doesnt take up any room tucked into your coat. More often then not they are not going to work for you but if you have a nice buck out of range thats walking away from you why not blow a couple grunts at him and see what happens, if he doesnt respond oh well he wasnt going to come in anyways but there is always a chance he will come into it and give you a shot.

Ive probably only had maybe 10 times where a grunt has worked for me, and a few times it was used with a rattling sequence as well. Ive never had a deer come in that I shot, its usually just playing around on a smaller buck just to see if they will come in but I have had a few nice bucks come in closer after they heard the grunt just never had one give me a shot. So IMO why not carry one with you, if you dont think a buck is going to come in close enough why not try a grunt and see what happens?

it's the single most effective trick you can use for deer,anytime of year. forget scents, rattling ect. deer are vocal animals, don't go hunting without one. the most effective grunting sequence that works best for me are short grunts: blurp, blurp....blurp

alot of people think the grunt calls should sound perfect and realistic true but sometimes not.... not every single deer sound alike all i do is pick up a reasonable good grunt call and practice with it and try to give my calling an attitude. I can care less of wich call sounds more like a deer as long as its close enough the deer dont care, with the attitude you can put into calling it shouts out to deer that theres a new deer in the area. just be sure that when they start getting close, stop calling because a deer at 30 yards will spot you in the tree if you grunt at it.

the calls will work but depends on the situation. For me around bow season it will work because its quiet but when firearms opens deer come into you from traveling not from calls since gun shots scare them around the public land we hunt but it never hurts to still call. If you hunted were its always quiet the calls should work a few times unless something is constantly scaring them then i cant help you there

I agree with the ones that have said it is with me from the start of the season to the end. If a deer is out of range, what do you have to lose?

I have many more positive results than negative.

I will go as far as saying I use the Buck Roar call and it works awesome.

Cant beat the grunt call during the pre-rut IMO. My first year hunting i sat watching a nice buck maybe 70 yards out while just playing the waiting game. As it started to get close to the end of shooting hours i figured i might as well grunt since i have nothing to lose. I grunted a few short sequences and eventually the buck was right under my tree. Unfortunatley it was past shooting hours by the time he was there. I havent made the mistake of "waiting them out" since and have benefited on more than one occasion.

Was not ready one night when the buck came in, was literally just up the tree. He walked about 40 yards away and I finally got ready and grunted. He came right back to me. Shot and hit a tree. Next night had a deer go out behind me blowing at me. Grunted a few times to see if it would come back and in the other direction had a 10 point come in make a scrape in front of me and then walk within 10 yards of me when I shot him. I would say it worked alright for me last year.

as most have said, the grunt is a great tool. It is much more effective for me the last week in october and november. But early season, you really have nothing to lose. I have called in some very nice bucks using rattle bags and a grunt tube. I carry two on me. One around my neck that gets better volume, and one strapped to my wrist that I can blow with my bow up. They are great.

Its with me from beginning to end I amlost always use it tandem with the doe bleat can. I can not say it always works but I believe that I have brought some bucks in that I otherwise would not have seen.

It all depends, certain situations I won't leave home w/o it. During the rut is usually the only time I glue mine on. My favorite is to combine a "doe can" and a running grunt series together. This has brought the big boys running in more times than with just a standard grunt series. It's provided me great success. Using the grunt after a missed shot, can sometimes help you out and give you another opportunity. I've found also, when you get a buck chasin and is on top of you (not literally) before you know it, there is no time to grab for a grunt, that's when the vocals come in with your own grunt in hopes to putting the brakes on for a shot. Overall it's a great tool if used correctly as with the right tone and during the right times. Many of times too they just won't listen.

i use it all season,but the last week in oct. is magical and if your after mature bucks try a snort weeze you will be suprised.

I have had great luck calling in bucks from mid Sept to mid Nov. I use to do a little more blind calling but now I like to wait until I see a buck clearly not coming my way before calling. It also works great during those last 10-15 minutes of shooting light, I have grunted in countless bucks in the last 15 minutes. Sometimes they come storming in, other times they hang back but its always fun.