• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Getting crowded what do you do?

bogwalker

What do/would you do if another hunter moves his bait too close to yours? This is a bait site you developed yourself. You did all the scouting, clearing, trails etc.. You have hunted there for 5 or more years.

Is it public land? If so I'd say that's tough luck. Kind of like someone putting up a deer stand 20 yards from one you already had up. You could try confronting them, but they really have no obligation to move...other than maybe just to keep the peace and be civil. Heck, he honestly may not even know your bait site is there. Just ask him.

If it's private, however, tell the dude to get the heck off your property wink

keep unfamiliar scent by his bait and keep yours scent free. you could also just see what kind of bait he is using at his station and just simply try to have more of a variety that appeals to the bears if you have hunted the area before and know what they like best.

What ever you do dont be a jerk about it, the end result will only be bad. Do what someone did to one of our friends last year. They wrote a note telling my friends that they have a registered site and if they can move the bait pile further down.

A few years back they had one of their sited bleached, boy they were not happy, it was not at the same place they hunt at now.

Theres really not a whole lot you can do about it, as long as hes not breaking any laws, I think there is a minimum distance he has to be from your bait but Im not certain on that one.

I would do like lakeshore said and pin a not to a tree by their bait explaining to them that you have a bait already established nearby, they probably dont even know you have a bait set up near there. Be polite about it and if they any respect hopefully they will move on.

Dont tamper with their site as this will more than likely end up hurting you in the end if they find out about it. I know we have had hunters set up baits within a few 100 yards of ours and our were getting hit every day while theres were off and on and all the trail cam pics they had were at night, I think the reason for this is because we had hands down better bait than them and they hit ours first and if they were still hungry they would move over to theirs.

I would just stick it out if they dont move and see whats coming in and at what time, hopefully you can get a crack at the bear before they do, if not hopefully you have a few backup spots you can hunt.

if you dont have any luck another idea is to just give up for a few weeks and go back to check it later, as some of the best times i have had is in early october when everyone else has tagged out or given up and i am the only guy with bait still in the woods.

I would try to contact him an have a talk, see what kinda guys he is an maybe partner with him an work together, share the baiting an bait ect.. If he's is not interested, then let the games begin I guesse, but I'd walk a straight line an let karma take over for him. Boar

Bog, I am new to bear hunting this year. I have read, read some more, and then read even more. You tubed myself to death. Bought bait, set up 2 stations and am trying my hand at something I have always wanted to do.

I admittingly know very little of this game called bear bait and bear hunt. I am, however, very much looking forward to trying it.

I do know 2 things!!!!

1. the work begins when you pull the trigger.

2. I would never want to upset another hunter... EVER I consider myself ethical in every way when it comes to fishing, small game and big game.

So, with that said, while some folks here are suggesting you flip out and start bleaching, etc, I beg of you to simply take the high road and have the conversation as has also been suggested. I'd be sick it it were me and I never knew your bait was there. Just sick.

So, as with anything you read on internet forums - you will get both extremes for suggestions.... might I be so humble as to suggest a cooler more sportsman type approach might be sufficient?

Call me gullible but I very much doubt what you are experiencing is intentional by the other party.....

over & out

Daredevil.

p.s. you are not near northome are you?

I would talk to the guy. Guys have moved in on me by accident and I have done it to others not even realizing I was crowding somebody. Felt kinda dumb once I realized what I had done.

Nine times out of ten a deal can be worked out but if it gets hostile just let them go on thier way and move your bait up wind 1/4 mile and go gonzo with it; move the baoit and take the bear with you. Normaly all I have to do is ask a hostile if he really wants to get in a baiting war with a guide; that normaly sparks the peace talks.

I too have seen it both ways. It's easy to set up within 100 yards, even 50 yards of someone with out knowing it. It's pretty intense out there, carrying a huge load, looking for good logs or log-trees, looking for a good spot, nice trees for stands, etc... Usually a simple call and conversation and it's a done deal.

I'd say "let the best bait win" this year, and make sure you're in a more secluded area the next time around. Over the years I've had a couple of spots where guys obviously set up late in the game near my bait in order to take advantage of the time and money I've spent drawing bears in. What those experiences has taught me is to be sneaky about my baits. If you drive down a logging road park at an established spot, and lay tape or blaze a big trail into the woods you'll probably have company. I try to make sure that my baits and trails are inconspicuous and hard to get to. I stay off of main roads, and don't park next to my bait even while I'm hunting. I won't put a bait within a half mile of an established parking spot. Bear hunting is like fishing in a way. Folks that don't know what they are doing often times just try to set up close to someone they figure might know something. They might not even trying to poach a spot, they might just not know better.

I set up a bait once and it was getting hit. On the way out one afternoon I ran into another guy that was baiting less than 200 yards from me (he was getting hit as well). After discussing it, I decided to pull out and focus on my other pits. I did this because he was set up one day prior to me. Hard to leave a good bait station but sometimes that's what a guy has to do.

I'd leave him a note and talk to him.

What do/would you do if another hunter moves his bait too close to yours? This is a bait site you developed yourself. You did all the scouting, clearing, trails etc.. You have hunted there for 5 or more years.

some bad and good advice here..... being a jerk or trying to intimidate they guy is being a bad hunter.... just find the guy talk to him talk dont try to be tough guy and say that he probobly didnt realize your bait was in the area and ask if he would consider moving a bit further away and if he dosnt want to just say i respect your decision and ill be on my way, from there on its your choice to move or stay