• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How were the weeds? The last few years it has been overrun with weeds when in the past there were hardly any. Something is going on with that lake. Wonder if the DNR knows what is going on out there?

I am guessing the Dora lake deal has found its way downstream and filled the lake up with the "good stuff" needed to grow tons of weeds.

This used to be a darn good lake, but toad is right, the bite was usually best May-mid June.

It weeds were not bad at all unless I was up shallow. The big point off the west side had no weeds on it at all to speak of. I had a great walleye chop pounding in all along that huge point but there were no fish there. Some weeds got caught on my Salmo Hornet trolling out in 9-10 FOW. I fished minnows & crawlers, shallow & deep, fast & slow, cranks casted & trolled & I'd like to think I know what I'm doing - Got 1 bullhead, 1 whitebass, & 1 perch.

BRUTAL

I tried ice fishing it last year for kicks and giggles and the water was pretty crappy. Is that usual for this lake?

Zelmsdawg

• 2 weeks later...

First off ditto to what Willy said.

If you were trolling #4 Hornets you were fishing to deep. Try 5-7 feet. Pike will come up and hit a Hornet running 6 feet deep in 10 foot of water but Walleyes seldom do. I'm not sure Hornets would be a good choice for Gorman for I think I have introduced all of the Walleye in that lake to the Hornet in the last 4-5 years. Yes I put them back and there were a lot of them 4-5 years ago.

It is a super White Bass lake this year. Good numbers of 17-18" White Bass. They are a blast and you don't have to worry about the tic-tic hit like a Walleye. It's more like Ka-Pow with White Bass.

Gorman 5 years ago had vary few weed and a sand bottom. There must be somthing Introducing nutrient to the lake.

I'm not sure Hornets would be a good choice for Gorman for I think I have introduced all of the Walleye in that lake to the Hornet in the last 4-5 years.

I too have showed a select few the buisness side of a Hornet. But your giving walleyes way to much credit for brain power there, I can't remeber what I ate for breakfast.....But then again whatever it was didn't have hooks in it and pull me around.

• 10 months later...

Tried 5 to 13 FOW all morning & afternoon on Sunday - Spinners & crawlers, Hornets, jigging - BRUTAL results again. Sheephead & dogfish were the source of the biggest thrills of the day. It's mind-boggling when you look at the most resent DNR survey & see how many fish are supposed to be out there. Has anybody had luck out there this year? BTW - I've never had that many weeds on my trailer EVER.

Oops - I lied - Clearly, the high points of the day were not the fish, but the process of reviewing the high points of "Hall Pass".

Yes I had great luck on Gorman but I will not be fishing it for the rest of the year.

Gorman like most shallow water lakes in the area get to warm this time of year and the fish go into a warm water stupper. The warm water shock puts a lot of stress on the fish and they don't eat much when the water gets near 80 degrees. Fish the shallow lakes in the spring or fall. It is hard to fish 15 feet and deeper when the lake is only 17 feet deep when the water is way up for this time of year.

20 years ago you could only find weed in 1% of lake Gorman.

Get out some jointed #7 shad raps, Large Hot-n-Tot and #5 deep diving Hornets hit a deeper lake and troll around 3mph and you will do well. If you want some Crappies use some #4 deep diver Hornets troll 12-15 FOW at 1 mph. I've been finding school of tightly packed Crappies but they are always on the move. Troll to find the location then once you catch one you can drift back over them then use an electric motor to stay with them. Then start all over again. I've been using a Kastmaster for this with a Berkley Powerbait Crappie Nibbles on one of the hooks. The Crappie Nibbles are great for Sunfish too. They come in a small jar and you can get them a Gander. They may be under the Gulp name now.