• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Stealth cam not working

pumper317

ok so last year i set out my stealth cam over a meadow type area in the woods. In a week i got 3700 pictures, with only three deer. I know they dont have the best shutter speed, but should i have got that many pictures of grass blowing? I see all the pics of cameras over meadows, and they have no problem... Is this just an issue, or does it happen to everyone. I put the camera 5 fet up,and angled it down with a stick. Any suggestions, clues, or comments so i dont have to go and buy 3 new cameras? thanks guys

How long is the grass in the meadow?? I think you answered your own question, by pointing the camera down at long grass, any breeze will set it off. Set the camera up in your yard for a day and test it out, see if it just takes pictures of you walking by, eliminate the possibility of the camera malfunctioning/taking pictures without movement.

I generally set my cameras up at crotch level, facing straight out. I will also take a weed whip and mow down the grass right by the tree where I have my camera mounted. Beyond that, there is generally enough deer activity around my salt block and corn that the grass is kept down. I have one spot, where on a windy day, the tree movement 50 yards away will take cause the camera to take pictures. Goes with the territory.

Take note of where the sun is when you setup your cam, I have had the best results facing the cam north if you can or in a well shaded area. Anything east west or south is going to get a lot of pictures of nothing. These cams need heat and motion to trigger and the sun and some grass can set off thousands of photos on their own. I would also take blackjacks advice and try to clear out anything that will move in front of the camera, you don't have to go crazy, just get the stuff that sticks or is just to the side of the cam. Even with a perfect setup you will get plenty of nothing photos but I would rather have a cam that is a little too sensitive and takes a lot of pics vs one that doesn't take many and might miss that big buck walking by.

When I have a lot of blank photo's I usually have it facing a sun rise or a sun set. Just check see your position maybe another tree will help.

When I have a lot of blank photo's I usually have it facing a sun rise or a sun set. Just check see your position maybe another tree will help.